The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

0370: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

“The thespian awakes,” Thomas said. “And he has his voice back. Will you not step out from the shadows?”

Everyone could sense Thomas' nervousness.

There was a long silence before Francis went inside, only to poke his head out and say, “He's not here.”

“We all heard him,” Vein said. “We all turned to see who was talking.”

“He is so much more powerful than I imagined,” Elizabeth said.

“More important, he called you a liar,” Vein said, looking at Thomas with a smile.

“I could easily kill you right now and no one could stop me,” Thomas shot back, in an effort to bully Vein.

“Could you? Do you know for certain that no one would step to my defense? Can be so sure that Sabastian won't rise up and strike you down?” Vein asked, getting into Thomas' face.

“Are you so sure he will protect you?”

“Oddly enough, I am,” Vein said.

“Trust me, he won't kill me. We have an arrangement.”

“Arrangement or not, he won't let you hurt me or Elizabeth. And you know it. So let's get beyond the posturing and talk. Sabastian stood in the sun with Night when she died,” Vein said pointing to the stain on the ground.

“He's correct, this is a serious issue,” Elizabeth said. “I've never bothered with the scriptures and the prophecies, but from what little I know of them.”

“You are both stretching the importance of this... This Sabastian. He is not the one to destroy our kind,” Thomas sputtered angrily.

“How are you so certain?” Vein asked.

“He's of your blood, he has immense powers, and the girl,” Elizabeth said.

“What of all of this? The damned prophecies have proven false so many times. Where is the messenger? Where is the sun?”

Elizabeth looked up at him, “He's in Europe.”

A scowl crossed Thomas' face as he stepped backward.

“I am the seed of your destruction. A seed you planted and nurtured. I have grown and now my blooms are baring fruit. And they will end you and perhaps all of us,” Elizabeth said calmly to Thomas, who's face went from a scowl to pure hatred.

“I will destroy you,” Thomas announced. “You and your progeny will die by my hand. I have spared you because of what you have done for me. Now, though, you have gone too far. Nothing will stop me from killing you.”

“Destiny will,” Elizabeth said calmly. “You will walk right into your own destiny. Even though you could stop it.”

Thomas said nothing as he left.

“You should get back to your own portion of the city,” Vein said.

“There is no need. Thomas will not send anyone here, he knows they will be fighting Sabastian not I.”

“Sabastian isn't here,” Francis said. “He left before you arrived.”

“But he spoke to us,” Vein said.

“I know, but unless he walked right past me without me seeing him, he's not here.”

There was a long silence before Francis asked, “What did you mean when you told Thomas he would walk into his own destiny?”

“Free will. We have free will. Sol used to talk about it on occasion. Now I am beginning to see what he meant. I don't fully understand, but I know that whatever Thomas is destined for, it will be from his own decisions that it comes.

“He will reap what he has sown.”

“How biblical of you,” Vein shot out.

Elizabeth smiled at the joke, knowing it meant that Vein was somehow more comfortable in his surroundings. “I think I'll wait for Sabastian's return, if you don't mind the extra company.”

“Your company is welcome, my Lady,” Vein said, bowing.





[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home