The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

0369: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

“Show me where the black mark is,” Elizabeth announced after letting Francis out of her hug.

“It's outside, you were so keen on hugging the boy, and scaring him in the process, that you walked right by it,” Vein said.

“It must not be all that remarkable then,” she shot back, walking out on to the stoop where Vein had remained.

He pointed to the black mark that clearly looked like a cross with the outline of a body on it. “Wow, that's pretty remarkable, actually,” she said, walking slowly over toward it.

She bent down and looked closely at the stain on the ground. Then she dug at the edge with her finger. “It seems to go through the dirt.”

“Yes, but watch this,” Vein said, picking up a portion of the broken pot and placing it on the stain. It took a few seconds, but gradually the stain went through the pot fragment.

“My God,” Elizabeth said.

“That's not all,” Vein replied, taking the pot bit away. The stain slowly vanished.

“If I were remotely religious I would be praying to God right now,” She said, taking the broken ceramic piece and examining it. “And you said it was Night who... well, this stain is what is left of her?”

“Yes,” Vein responded.

“And it happened right in front of Sabastian and nothing happened to him?”

“That's correct,” he said seriously.

“You aren't joking at all.”

“I see nothing to joke about.”

“That's what I mean,” Elizabeth explained. “Even when times are tense you joke, but you aren't doing so now. You are concerned.”

“I can't tell when he's here or when he's not. When he is here, I don't have any idea what he's likely to do. He doesn't care that I'm here at all. Thomas is so scared of him that he's given me protection. In fact, Thomas took one look at this and he ran like a frightened child. What am I supposed to feel? I think concerned is the least intense of my possible reactions.”

“That's better, witty sarcasm,” she said with a smile that quickly faded as she looked past him at Thomas who had just walked into the inner court. She stood up. “I sensed you in the area. I was wondering when you would make your appearance.”

“Is that any way to great your sire?”

“I'm not here to play games,” she said.

“What makes you think I am playing a game? I gave you life and now you betray me in so many ways.”

“Giving me life doesn't allow you to treat me like a puppet. To abuse me at your whim, to send me to die because you are too afraid to take the risk.”

“I see it quite differently,” Thomas said.

“I gave you everything I had. My love, my life. You took what I gave and used it at your convenience, tossing me aside whenever you were done with me.”

“That is my prerogative, you are of me.”

“No. You do not control life. Particularly mine.”

Thomas laughed gently, then said, “This is a discussion for another time. Why have you asked me to join you? To look at some soot on the ground?”

Vein spoke up, saying, “You know damn well this is more than just soot.”

“Is it?”

“You wouldn't have come alone if it were just soot,” Elizabeth said, backing up Vein's words with her own.

“Who says I am alone?”

“There is no other vampire for blocks,” Sabasian's voice came from within the doorway.





[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home