The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

0367: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

“Madam President,” Vein said far too loudly as he bent majestically in front of Elizabeth.

Elizabeth's laugh was genuine and deep. “Oddly I've grown to enjoy your sense of humor,” she said, putting her hand out for Vein to kiss.

Taking her hand in his, Vein lavished a kiss on it and stood before her. “I am humbled by your generosity.”

Rolling her eyes, she asked, “What news have you brought me? It seems that we only saw each just days ago.”

Looking around, he asked, “May we talk alone?”

“Oh, that good!” Elizabeth responded mockingly, as she waved an arm toward her bedroom.

“No, I just want to get you alone in a room with a bed,” Vein said with a hearty laugh.

“Now that is the funniest thing you've said in months,” Elizabeth announced, following him to the room.

Once inside, Vein's demeanor changed materially. “Oh, this is serious,” Elizabeth said, sitting on the edge of her bed.

“Have you ever seen a vampire burned by the sun?”

“Of course I have. It's horrible.”

“Yes, yes it is. Have you ever seen a vampire willingly expose themselves to the sun?”

“Willingly?”

“Yes, willingly.”

“Not that I can recall,” Elizabeth replied.

“Neither had I until last night.”

“What...” She trailed off.

Vein sat next to her and took her hand, “Night is dead.”

“I can't say I find that upsetting.”

“She came to the house looking for Sabastian, begging him to speak to someone. Sabastian came out and whomever Night was looking to speak to, well, that person spoke to her through Sabastian.

“She then stayed in the sun until she was burned to death to free her soul.”

Elizabeth didn't say anything.

“The mark on the ground left by her burn was in the shape of a cross.”

Still no reply.

“Thomas came the next day, obviously aware that Night had been there the prior evening. He tried to cover the stain, but it refused to be covered. It bled through whatever was put on top of it.”

Elizabeth continued to look off blankly.

“Thomas didn't say anything before he left, but I don't believe he wants anyone to know what happened.”

“What of Sabastian?” Elizabeth asked.

Vein didn't say anything.

Elizabeth looked at Vein and far more adamantly asked, “What of my Sabastian?”

Vein looked into her eyes and replied, “He stood in the sun right next to Night as she burned. But nothing happened to him. Nothing. Nothing at all.

“It was like he was human. Or... Or divine.”

Elizabeth's eyes closed and she took Vein's hands in hers. “Thank God he's alright.”

“Thank God he's alright? He stood in the sun. He stood as another vampire burned. Nothing happened to him. Do you understand? This isn't some small feat. This is life and death. Forget that he channeled the dead for Night before she chose to off herself. He should have died, but he didn't.” Vein had gotten up and walked across the room.

“I heard your story,” Elizabeth said. “But there's little I can do about it. I'm just glad that Sabastian is unharmed. You know how powerful he is. This shouldn't surprise you as much as it seems to.”

“This isn't a display of power, it's... It was a display of divinity. You know I'm not a particularly religious fellow, but what I saw is beyond this Earth. And the cross.” Vein was clearly shaken.

“Where is Sabastian now?”

“I have no idea. I haven't been able to sense him for months. He shows up when he wants to and leaves when he wants to. I think he could walk right in front of me and I wouldn't be the wiser for it.”

“That's probably true,” Elizabeth replied.

“Is that supposed to make me feel better or worse?” Vein asked sarcastically.

“Ah, you're feeling better,” Elizabeth replied. “I'd like to see the cross for myself.”



[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home