The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

0366: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

“I worked quite hard on that book,” a young man's voice said moving toward Sol. “I don't appreciate you throwing it violently like that.”

Sol stopped crying and looked up at the stylish young man standing in front of him. “The Keeper,” he said reflexively.

“So I am,” was the reply.

“I...”

“You don't understand why I'm here now,” the Keeper said, completing what Sol couldn't. “I am here now because you have seen what we are.”

“We are evil,” Sol spat out angrily.

“Yes we are. But we were not always evil.”

“This library,” Sol said, “it records hundreds of years of our vile past. Am I too believe that at one point in time we were different. That some great force turned us into what we are?”

“Yes,” was the simple reply.

A long pause ensued during which the Keeper walked around inspecting the books.

“You have read more of this library than any other in existence,” the Keeper finally said, interrupting the silence. “I am impressed. You now know more about our recent history than anyone other than myself. That is no small achievement.”

“You seem to know what I've read and what I haven't read. Have you been watching me, too?”

“Yes. I've been watching you since John Paul rejoined us.”

“What?” Sol asked incredulously.

“You heard what I said.”

“Then why didn't you step in to help?”

“That is not my role in our story. And what makes you think I didn't move some pawns around?”

“Like with Regaldo?” Sol asked.

“Like with Regaldo. My role isn't to be involved in our affairs. It is to record our affairs so that others may know them. How and when I share my stories is up to me.”

Sol was conflicted. He felt as though the Keeper was helping him, but still was unsure of how much he could be trusted. Finally he said, “Now what?”

“Your time here is not done. But you have learned what I wanted you to learn and shown that you are the one that John Paul had been waiting for. For years he said it was you, but I didn't believe him.

“You know, the funny thing is, I was kind of hoping he was wrong. That we weren't at that point in the prophecies. But it seems we are and I'll be taking you from this place in due time. But not yet.”

“Where are you going to take me?” Sol asked.

“You know the answer to that already.”

“And what needs to happen before we go?”

The Keeper looked at him, walked over to a bookshelf and turned a section of molding. The entire wall jerked quickly, as if something had been dropped on top of it. The Keeper pushed the one entire bookshelf to the side revealing a hidden room. He motioned to Sol to join him.

Sol rose and walked over to the room. Inside was a single desk with books on top. The desk was rough and crude. Sol knew instantly that Jesus had made it because it was so similar to the furniture of John Paul. The books on top were obviously made by the Keeper. They were held in place by what looked like two large rocks.

“The desk was a gift from John Paul, the books are of my hand, and the bookends,” the Keeper looked at Sol. “Are a gift from our past.”

“Who gave you these things?”

The Keeper looked at Sol with a broad smile. “They are not my gifts, they are yours.”

Sol didn't answer, he just looked at the desk.

“The books are a brief recount of the six great wars. The first two are based on stories handed down to me by the Father. The others I saw with my own eyes. I am working on the seventh book of the series. Read these and then we will talk again.

“But don't share this knowledge with anyone, don't even let them know this room exists.”

“OK,” Sol said, turning his focus from the desk to the voice. The Keeper, however, had already disappeared.



[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home