The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

0359: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

After one of his visits to Elizabeth, Vein headed home. It was getting close to dawn, so he was rushing a little to ensure he was back before the sunrise so he didn't have to risk staying anywhere without Thomas' explicit protection. It wasn't that he doubted Thomas' order of protection, which had proven reliable on multiple occasions already, but he doubted if he could count on it when Thomas' clan members had no risk of being caught in the act of killing him.

Almost as soon as he walked in the door, someone was banging on it. He looked at Francis, who was up already cleaning the house. They both shrugged their shoulders as the banging continued.

Vein sat down and said, “I suppose you should answer the door.”

Francis looked at him and said, “Uh, no, I don't think so. In a half an hour I'll be glad to get the door. Right now, you can take care of it.”

“Oh, if you are so afraid, I'll do it,” Vein moaned, knowing full well that his companion was absolutely correct in his resolve.

Upon opening the door, Vein saw a haggard and dirty Night standing before him. She was so disoriented that she kept on hitting at the door, despite the fact that it had been opened. Vein deflected her blows with his arms several times before he took hold of her flailing hands.

“Night, what the hell is going on?” Vein asked. He knew that she had been missing since her little visit to Elizabeth's compound, and had assumed Thomas had killed her for treason.

“I want to speak to her,” she demanded, pulling her arms free.

“Who?” Vein asked honestly.

“Don't play games with me, I know she's here!”

“Night, you look terrible. Something bad has obviously happened. I'll help you...”

“I don't want your help,” she screamed, “I want to talk to her!”

“Night, please,” Vein tried to calm her by putting his arm on her shoulder, but she moved away from him.

“Tell him I want to speak to her,” she said in an angry guttural tone.

“It is almost dawn. Night you need to find someplace to rest for the day.”

“I want to speak to her! Tell Sabastian I want to speak to her!”

“I don't even know if he's here,” Vein confided in her. “And there is certainly no woman on the premises. Now calm down and come inside before the sun rises,” he said, again trying to get hold of her.

She lurched back and gave him a menacing look. “I want to speak to her right now.”

“I...” Vein started before he was interrupted by Francis.

“Uh, Vein,” Francis let out from behind. Vein turned to see the boy looking into the living room. Following his eyes, he saw Sabastian walking toward him.

“So, you are home,” Vein said mockingly.

Sabastian ignored him and walked outside onto the front step and looked at Night.

“I want to speak to her again,” she said to Sabastian. He stood motionless and just looked at her.

Vein, though caught up in the moment, was cognizant of two things. First was the quickly approaching dawn and second was that despite seeing Sabastian standing right in front of him, he couldn't sense him. It was as if he wasn't there.

“We need to get her inside before the sun rises,” Vein offered after the pause proved too long for him to endure.

Sabastian didn't respond and simply continued to look at Night.

“Please,” she begged, “please let me speak to her again. She was trying to tell me something and I didn't understand. I want to understand.”


[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home