The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

0357: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

“Sabastian doesn't care about your safety,” Elizabeth stated coldly, trying think through the situation.

“Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't been aware of it,” Vein interrupted.

Elizabeth chuckled, “I'm sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.” Vein gave her a wry look that bordered on anger. “Anyway, I doubt that Sabastian went to Thomas to secure your safety. If it were Sabastian's effort, I believe it was to find the little girl of which he is so fond.”

“Safe bet,” Vein said.

“He didn't come back with the girl?”

“No girl,” Vein answered.

“If he had found out she was dead, I'm quite certain he would have killed a great many of our kind out of anger.”

“Another bet I won't take the other side of,” Vein mocked.

“And you said there was something wrong. So if Sabastian went to Thomas he gained no new information. But he was given an olive branch by Thomas.”

“My safety.”

“Yes, but I'm sure Thomas offered it to Sabastian and that boy you have with you, too.”

“You have a way of making me feel so special,” Vein retorted.

Ignoring him and continuing with her thoughts, Elizabeth said, “If it was Thomas reaching out to Sabastian, then he was simply offering the olive branch.” She looked around the room deep in thought. “What is he up to? Does he really believe he can gain Sabasitan's favor to defeat me? After all that has happened he'll never be able to gain that trust.”

“Unless he can help Sabastian find the girl,” Vein offered.

“Yes. Unless he can help Sabastian find the girl,” Elizabeth parroted. “Or, at the very least, can make Sabastian think he can help him find her.”

“That would be typical Thomas, now wouldn't it?” Vein asked rhetorically. “Use and abuse and all with a powerful helping of egotistical self interest.”

“Yes, he would attempt to use any kind of leverage he could to ensure that Sabastian wouldn't kill him. And, perhaps, force him to help defeat me.”

“While that is wholly possible, I think Thomas realizes that getting Sabastian to turn on you would be near impossible,” Vein replied.

“Would it? What if Thomas could convince him that I had the girl? Or that he could get the girl, but only if Sabastian helped him? That might be enough.”

Vein looked at Elizabeth and said, “Yes, it might be.”

“You will keep me informed of what happens?” Elizabeth requested.

“Certainly.”

“As best you can, I'd like to know where he is going and what he is doing.”

“Understood. But he doesn't consult me any more than he consulted you while living here.”

“As best you can,” she said, touching Vein's face with the palm of her hand. “And if you happen to find anything interesting out about Thomas, I'd love to hear that, too.”

“Ah, I will gladly attempt to relay information about Thomas and his merry band of followers to you,” Vein said with a bow. “But I feel I must be leaving, to get back to my ward—or am I his ward, I never can tell.” He smiled and walked to open the door.

Elizabeth put a hand on his shoulder to stop him. He didn't turn and she didn't force the issue.

“I know that I've asked a great deal of you,” Elizabeth said. “I truly appreciate what you have done and what you are doing.”

With his hand on the doorknob, Vein said, “Thank you, but, strangely, I find I am no longer doing it for you. Sabastian, though reclusive and difficult to deal with, is endearing in his own special way.”

“Yes, yes he is,” Elizabeth said, taking her hand off of Vein's shoulder and allowing him to leave.




[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home