The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

0355: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

Thomas stood defiantly in front of Sabastian. He said nothing, as his smirk fully expressed his feeling of triumph. After a few moments, Sabastian spoke with his mind, “I am tired of this game.”

“Oh, I dare say you are. But what end is there? Do you listen to your voices and kill me? You know I have access to more information than you. I know you aren't stupid. A bit of a recluse, too filled with compassion, but not stupid.

“You can't kill me.” Thomas walked across the room casually. “No, you have to play with me or risk loosing your precious little girl forever.”

Sabastian hadn't moved to follow Thomas' movements and had his back to the vampire. Thomas, meanwhile, was watching Sabastian. He believed he had won this battle, but Sabastian had a way of surprising him so he wanted to wait for the final blow.

“Well, I see that we are at a stalemate,” Thomas finally announced. “You are now staying in my territory. I make no claim to your home. It is yours to do with as you please so long as you don't endanger me or my position in the city.

“Your guests will have similar freedoms, even the human. I will do my best to secure information for you and you will stay out of my way. For now, we'll call that our deal.”

Sabastian turned to Thomas and with his mind lifted the vampire in the air. Thomas did not show his fear, but Sabastian could sense it clearly. “I care nothing for your war, so I will agree to your demands for now.”

Thomas replied, “I see you have begun to control the powers you have. Impressive. When last we met, you could hardly contain them. You never cease to amaze me. You are, perhaps, the only vampire of any merit that Elizabeth ever sired. Though, I have to admit, Sol is quite interesting and may give you a run for your money.”

Sabastian lowered Thomas, who said, “Thank you” as he brushed himself off with a showman's flare. “Still, I have made no demands. And I hope you don't view our relationship in this way. I want to help and simply want your help in return.”

Thomas was lying and they both knew it, but there was little Sabastian could do. He was always at the whim of another's knowledge. He would remain so now.

Sabastian nodded his head and walked toward the door. Before leaving he asked with his mind, “What of Night?”

“If she is foolish enough to come back to me, I'll kill her for this deception. I know it was you behind it and that she had little choice. But, still, she used my weakness against me. I hate that,” Thomas said simply. “If it makes you feel any better, I don't think she will come back. She knows all too well how I deal with those that displease me.”

Sabastian walked out of the room and slowly descended the stairs. All he had done since he last saw Susan was wait. He would be relegated to waiting again. He felt bad about Night, but knew there was little he could do about the situation now that he had created it. He wouldn't allow her to stay with him, though, as it was too big a risk to himself.

He walked home largely empty of any thoughts. He simply worked to contain the voices raging inside of him. As he entered his house, he saw Vein sitting on a chair reading. He stopped.

Vein casually lowered his book and said, “Well hello stranger.”

Sabastian nodded.

“You missed an interesting evening,” Vein continued. “I sat here reading and wondering what had become of you. After all, without you around, I'm pretty much risking my life while I'm in Thomas' territory. I figured it best to simply wait for you or my untimely death.

“I'm quite happy you arrived first.”

With his mind, Sabastian said, “Thomas has guaranteed your safety.”

Vein put his book down and stood up, looking at Sabastian with a keen eye. “Have you forsaken your sire and dragged me for the ride?” he asked angrily.

With his mind, Sabastian replied, “I have forsaken no one. But neither do I care about this war. I am doing what I must to find Susan.” He walked to the basement to sleep.




[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home