The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

0349: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

Sol looked up from the book in shock. He had not expected that turn of events. It was almost heroic. Meredith had denied her father the show of power he had wanted. She emasculated him in his final act of power. It was genius, let alone daring. A smile broke out across Sol' face. He could see why Meredith held herself with so much dignity and grace. In that very moment, a moment that only she and her father shared, she had earned it and, at the same time, had disgraced him.

Sol felt almost honored to be able to share that moment with her. That she had allowed him to read this book. That the Keeper had given it to him...

That moment is when it dawned on him. The man who gave him the book was the Keeper. He looked blankly at the wall in front of him.

He had spent all of this time and effort to meet the Keeper and when given the chance, he didn't even realize that the Keeper was right in front on him.

He looked again at the book. There were a few pages left and, though distracted by what he believed to be a major personal failure, he continued.

After taking her mother's blood, Meredith appeared to go into a catatonic state. Her eyes were open, but she was largely unresponsive. Her father had her cleaned up and put in her old room. He stayed with her for days. The days turned to months. After half a year, she started to have fits. She would scream, lash out, and then clam back down into the same catatonic state.

It was two years before she fully recovered, two years before she took blood from a victim for the first time. Her father was amazed at how quickly she took to being a vampire. He was amazed at how quickly she fell into place at his side as his queen.

These facts made him happy. What saddened him was the cold exterior she kept. The distance from everyone and everything. It was as if nothing mattered to her. She flowed quickly into the role of setting, enforcing, and mediating rules. A very cold and calculating business that he was not good at, so that she complimented his power. In fact, she immediately gained the respect of all based on her fairness and the simplicity with which she saw the truth in both incidents and others of her kind.

“The end,” Sol said out loud closing the book.

“Was it a good read?” Meredith asked from behind him.

Sol, startled, stood up and turned to look at her. He had an odd look in his eye.

“I'm sorry,” she said, “you were deep in thought. I didn't want to bother you.”

“It's OK. I've grown so accustomed to being alone down here I guess I let my guard down.”

“I assure you, I mean you no harm.”

“I know,” he replied with a chuckle and a noticeable change in his demeanor.

“That's better,” Meredith said. “Was it a good book?”

“Exceptionally good.”

“Would you like to share the story with me?”

“Well, I had to cut the pages open so I know you haven't read the book, but I doubt that I could tell you anything from this story that you don't already know.”

“The one thing I want you to remember from that book,” Meredith said pointing at the tome, “is that my father is not my sire. I have always maintained that he is, but that is a public lie meant to keep the peace for many reasons.

“For myself, I would likely be branded a cannibal, like your friend Sabastian, if my true heritage were known. Secondly, it gives my father the respect he desires even though he does not deserve it.”

“I understand,” Sol said, lowering his head to show he appreciated what she was saying.

“I thought there were only two vampires who knew this story; my father and myself. Now, it seems, there are four; my father, I, the Keeper and you.”

“I will not reveal this information to anyone.”

“I do not doubt that,” Meredith replied with a knowing smile. “But what I really want to know is why the Keeper decided to share this information with you. After all of these years, it was with you that he chose to share my deepest secret.” Her head was tilted slightly.

“You didn't realize it was him, did you?” she asked, smirking.

Sol sighed deeply, looking at the floor, “No, it didn't dawn on me until the end of the book.”

“You spend all this time searching for him, he shows himself to you, and you miss your opportunity to ask the one question you needed to. Why did John Paul tell you to seek him out?”

Sol looked up, trying to hide how deeply disturbed he was at missing exactly what Meredith had said he missed, he smiled and said, “Yes.”

“Don't feel bad,” she comforted, walking over and putting her arm around Sol. “He never reveals himself the way you expect. And he rarely reveals himself without making at least a second appearance. He sees that you are important and you interest him.” Taking the book from Sol's hand, she said, “He may even be writing a book about you right now.”



[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home