The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

0345: The Vampire's Daughter Book IV

“You look like you've seen a ghost,” Gan said, walking over to Sol.

“Uh, no. Just engrossed in a book. I'm sorry, it's just. The book is very powerful.”

“Most of the books in these walls are,” Meredith said, looking closely at Sol. “Is it just the book?” she asked.

Sol looked at her for a moment and said, “Mostly. But I grow weary of waiting.” He didn't tell her about the vampire, he felt he shouldn't. Sol didn't know why he shouldn't, but he felt it was better to keep the visit to himself.

“Time is of little value to vampires. I've told you this before. Still, your wait will not be much longer. My father's resting place will soon be thawed out and we will awaken him. I am far more certain of who is with me than I was before the meetings began.”

“Is that what this is all about?” Sol asked.

“Yes.”

“Why invite me to meet some but not others?”

“To show you who your true friends and enemies are,” Meredith responded.

“You'll need that information at some point,” Gan interjected.

“It is always good to know these things,” Sol said, still somewhat distracted.

“Are you sure you are OK?” Gan asked.

Sol chuckled, “Yes, I am sure.” He stood up, holding the book the stranger had given him.

“What book is that?” Meredith asked, pointing to the book in his hand.

Sol looked down at it, and said, “I... I don't know. I just found it. I was going to complete that one,” he said pointing to the book he was reading, “and then start this one.”

“Where did you find it?”

“Over there,” he said, pointing to where the vampire pulled it from behind the other books.

“May I?” she asked, holding out her hand.

Sol didn't want to give it to her, but knew he had no choice. “Certainly,” he said, handing the thin volume to her.

She took it and looked at the cover. Then she looked at Sol for a long moment. “You say you just found it?”

“Yes. I was taking a break from reading and rummaging through the stacks when it sort of jumped out at me. I mean its very different from the others. Less ornate, thinner.”

“That it is,” she replied, before opening the book to reveal uncut pages. “I have never seen this book before,” she said, looking again at Sol. “It has never been read.”

Sol looked at her closely and replied, “Would you like to read it first?”

She looked at the book again, and then back to Sol. He could see that she was upset, though he couldn't tell why. “No, no. You read it,” she said and gave it back to him. “It seems to me that there must be a reason for you finding this book at this time out of so many other books.”

“We'll be having a second meeting with a King from the lower provinces,” Gan interrupted. “We would like you to join us.”

“Absolutely,” Sol replied a little too eagerly. “Have I met him before?”

“It's a her,” Meredith stated, “but she likes to call herself king. And no, you have not met her. At least not recently.

“Gan,” Meredith announced, “will you please go and get things ready. I want to talk to Sol alone for a moment.”

“Yes my love,” Gan said, as he left the suite of rooms.

Sol was worried, but was attempting not to show it.

“Relax,” Meredith said, sitting down. Sol sat, as well.

“That book, I know the story it contains. I never realized that it was written. The Keeper seems to see all things. He amazes me sometimes. I... I'm not sure if he is one vampire or many vampires working as one because it seems too improbable that he could be in the middle of so many important events. To have such details of so many things.”

“Yes, my lady,” Sol said to fill in a pause.

She looked at him. “I know that you are lying about finding it. You are strong enough to hide how you acquired it, but not strong enough to hide the emotions surrounding this act.

“I don't hold this against you. You have a reason. I presume it is a good reason.”

“It is,” Sol said, not knowing if it was really a good reason or not.

“Then read and tell me what you think when you are done.” She got up, took Sol's hand and they left for the meeting.




[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home