The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Book Three, Chapters 0231 to 0240

The Vampire's Daughter
Book Three

Chapters 0231 to 240
-----


0231
"So where should I go?" Jamie asked, looking in the car's rearview mirror at their pursuers.

"I don't know," Sol responded.

"That doesn't really help much," Jamie said, obviously very nervous. "This type of thing might be normal fare for an Enforcer, but it's not for me. Why didn't you drive, anyway?"

"I haven't been here in at least twenty years, I simply don't know the roads as well as you."

"What do you mean twenty years? We haven't seen each other in a hundred!" exclaimed Jamie.

"That doesn't mean I haven't stopped by while passing through," responded Sol.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you stop by?" Jamie asked, turning the wheel quickly for a sharp right turn.

"Now is not the time for this discussion," Sol answered, bracing himself for another quick turn.

"Since we may not see another night together, I think now is the opportune time."

"No, we'll see at least one more night. I know where to go," Sol said.

After a long pause, Jamie asked, "How about telling me so I can drive there?"

"You're heading the right direction, just stay on this road."

"I don't like it when you don't tell me things," Jamie said. "The last time you did something like this, you were heading off to the... You know we can't make it to the New World before dawn, right?"

"Don't be a wise ass. We only have to travel another hour or so to get to his castle. Just stay on this road. I'm not telling you because you're going to be upset."

"Well, the only castle I know of around here that is vampire friendly, if you can call it that, is home to Gan. Gan the assassin. Gan the contract killer. Gan who puts fear in just about all vampires. And, yes, I'm upset," Jamie said in a loud voice. "Why on Earth are we going there?"

"He owes me a favor," responded Sol.

"He owes you a favor?"

"Yes."

"He gets paid to kill vampires, exactly what kind of favor can he owe you?"

"At the very least he owes me sanctuary for one night," Sol answered.

"Unless someone offers him money for your head."

"That's a risk we'll have to take," Sol said. "Do you know how to get there?"

"No, actually, but I know how to avoid there!"

"Very funny, do you or don't you?" Sol asked.

"No I do not know," Jamie said angrily, but resigned to the fate that awaited.

"Get off at exit 243 and I'll tell you where to go from there."

"I'm not happy about this," Jamie said.

"Neither am I, but I can't think of any other way out of this situation."


0232
"Sol, I was wondering when you would call to invite yourself," the voice on the phone said before Sol had a chance to say anything.

"I should have known you would be aware of our pending arrival," Sol said.

"Yes, yes I am. But I don't want any visitors, so you'll need to find someone else to bother."

"Gan, this isn't a request. You owe me a favor, actually a few favors, and I'm calling one in," Sol said.

"You think you can just make demands?" Gan asked.

"Yes."

"You're a brazen little murderer aren't you? Do you know how much money is being offered for your head? I consider my not capturing you myself repayment on all debts," Gan said.

"I don't," responded Sol.

"Very well, I'll protect you for one day. After that, you're fair game, even for me."

"I'll accept that," Sol said, hanging up the phone.

"So?" Jamie asked nervously.

"He'll protect us for one day."

"One Day?"

"Yes, that should be enough time for me to get away. I only hope I haven't involved you too deeply. Turn left at the next road," Sol said.

Except for driving directions, the two didn't speak for the remainder of the trip. As they pulled up to the castle, Jamie said, "Even if I die, I'm not sorry for what has happened. I love you and would do anything for you, even give up my life."

"Jamie," Sol said putting his fingers on Jamie's lips to stop them from moving. "I love you too, but don't talk like that. We have a day to figure things out."

As Sol finished talking the main gate began to open. Pulling inside, Jamie could see the headlights of their perusers stopped at the beginning of the driveway.

As they pulled in Jamie and Sol passed by rows of Gan's assassins standing in the outer courtyard. It was an obvious show of force and it achieved its goal.

"We're going to die," Jamie said.

"No. Gan is a man of his word," Sol replied.

"Yes, assassins are known for being men of their words," Jamie mocked.

"Trust me, he's just trying to intimidate us."

"Well, I don't know about you, but I think he's succeeded."

Sol laughed, causing his friend to chuckle despite feeling hopelessly trapped.

"Pull through the inner gate," Sol directed, pointing to the open gate on the other side of the courtyard.

"Whatever you say," Jamie said, steering the car through the parting masses that had surrounded them.

As the approached the gate, it opened and a vampire of extraordinary size came out and blocked the way.

"Keep driving," Sol said.

"O.K.," Jamie said, continuing to pull forward.

Just as they reached the gate, the vampire blocking the way put his hand down on the hood of the car and stopped it.


0233
"That's good enough," said Sol, as he opened the door and stepped out.

Jamie watched as Sol walked up to the impossibly large vampire dressed in all black. Sol was dwarfed by the vampire, but stood before him with a brazen confidence.

"I'm here to see Gan," Sol said, his head tilted way back so he could make eye contact with the behemoth in front of him.

"He busy. You stay in car for night. Leave tomorrow."

"I'll see him now," Sol said angrily.

"He busy."

"Do you think I'm an idiot? I can sense him watching us. He's playing games and I don't have time for it. Take me to him or I'll go find him myself," Sol said angrily.

"He busy."

Sol dropped his head and sighed. "I don't want to do this, but if I must," he said, before launching himself up to the giant's head. He grabbed hold and wrenched the vampire's eyes out before the monstrosity could throw him across the court and into a wall.

Sol screamed, "Get out of the car," after getting up, giving Jamie just enough time to escape before the giant's hand smashed through the roof in a blind rage.

The other vampires surrounded Sol, but, undaunted, he announced, "This fight is between me and the monster." At that, the others cleared away, though the group made sure to block all possible exits and to take Jamie hostage.

"Where?" the giant asked in a massive bellow.

"Here," Sol yelled, before moving.

The giant lumbered toward the voice. Sol, having moved, walked beside him measuring his stride. As the hulk stepped, Sol threw himself between his legs, causing the giant to fall. Sol grabbed the thing's right leg and twisted until he heard the bones snap. The giant screamed in pain and lashed out with his arms.

Sol avoided the first blows, but, as he was attempting to run away, the vampire landed a blow that sent Sol flying into what was left of Jamie's car.

Both Sol and his opponent lay motionless for several minutes before Sol coughed, spewing blood across the ground in front of him. The vampire audience cheered, but went silent when Sol stood up.

He walked over to the hulk, who was in a fetal position holding his leg, but not moving. He circled the body looking for movement, as well as the location of his next attack.

Sol stopped behind the mass, grimaced, and jumped high in the air. The giant didn't move until Sol's feet landed on his exposed neck, breaking it. The giant let out a scream as his body went completely limp.

Sol took hold of the vampire's head and twisted it with all his strength, trying to shut out the screams of agony emanating from his victim.

After what seemed like forever, the screams stopped, but Sol continued to twist. The crowd around him howled in anger and disbelief, as Sol ripped the hulk's head off of his body and threw it into the center of the courtyard.

The head landed with a thud on the dirt and bounced twice before toppling over and resting. The entire courtyard was silent. By this point, Sol had fallen to one knee and was breathing heavily.

"You're going to pay for this," a female voice rang out from the crowd, causing it to part. A little girl walked out. She tore off her black overcoat, revealing a pretty pastel dress.

Sol didn't look up, but quietly said, "I'll kill you, too, if I must."


0234
"That won't be necessary," a voice rang from the gateway the giant had been guarding before his untimely death.

"He killed my Grim," the little girl screamed in a shrill voice.

"Yes, and I'm sorry for that. But he won fairly," the smallish man said, as he stepped into the outer courtyard. Like the others, he was in all black and wore an overcoat.

"This isn't over," she shouted.

"I've heard that too many times to believe it," Sol said, standing and looking the girl in the eyes. He could see the anger welling up inside of her.

"This is over," the smallish man announced, "at least for tonight." The crowd of vampires slowly left the court, leaving only the girl, two vampires holding Jamie by the arms, and the man.

"Was that really necessary Gan?" Sol asked.

"I suppose not," he answered, "but it was certainly entertaining. As you can imagine, Grim had never been defeated.

"But then you don't fight from fear," Gan continued. "In fact I didn't sense fear or anger in you at any point in the fight."

"Fear and anger do not win fights," Sol said, coughing up more blood.

"Particularly when you are hopelessly weaker than your opponent," Gan said.

"At that point, only intelligence and willpower will result in victory," Sol responded. "Did I pass your little test?"

"With at least a B," Gan said.

"Good, now let Jamie go."

"The whore? I agreed to protect you, not that one," Gan responded, gesturing at Jamie with his chin.

"Let Jamie go," Sol said again.

"And what if I refuse?"

"Then I suppose I'll have to hope I'm smart enough to defeat the rest of your clan."

"You aren't," Gan said, lifting an arm to wave off the vampires holding Sol's friend. After being released, Jamie stood behind Sol. Gan watched, and then said, "Let's talk before the day arrives. Follow me."

"What about my Grim?" the little girl asked.

"I am afraid that you will have to find another to love," Gan said turning and walking toward the gateway from which he came. "Come," he said to Sol.

Sol and Jamie followed their host through the doorway into another courtyard. From here they entered the central portion of the castle. The main hallway led directly to the throne room. Gan walked up and slumped in the throne.

He clapped his hands, causing two aids to quickly bring chairs for Sol and Jamie.

After a long silence, Gan said, "What I don't understand is why you killed someone who had been so kind to you. That isn't your style. The annoying little twit Paul I can see, but not John Paul."

"I didn't kill either of them," Sol answered.

"Then how exactly did you convince the only peaceful coven to initiate a bloodhunt for you?" Gan asked, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hand.


0235
"It's something of a long story," Sol said to Gan, "but I haven't killed anyone. There is a bloodhunt for me because, according to John Paul, I threaten our very existence. At the very least, anyway, I threatened Paul's control of the Zionists."

"You realize that your last statement made you sound insane, don't you?" Gan asked.

"If that made him sound crazy, you should hear the whole story," Jamie chimed in.

"The whore speaks," Gan shot back, without even looking at Jamie.

"Gan!" Sol said angrily. "Jamie is here with me, I believe a little more respect is in order."

"Do you? I don't. And you aren't in control this time around, I am. I could kill you just as easily as protect you."

"But you won't," Sol said, "and you'll at least be civil to Jamie. If for no better reason than I've asked you to be nice."

Gan laughed, "You are one cool character. Your life is in my hands and yet you confront my men and me as if you were in total control. You are most definitely of Thomas' blood."

"Yes, but it was the blood of my sire that saved you," Sol responded.

Gan looked long and hard at Sol, but said nothing until he looked at Jamie. "I'm sorry," he said to Jamie. "I know your sire well and my allegiance is to him. While you are here as a guest of Sol, however, I'll attempt to hold my tongue. Of course that'll be easier if you don't go wagging yours about."

"Thank you," Sol said, though Jamie and he both realized that Gan had basically said, he would behave, but only if Jamie didn't talk.

"Back to the business at hand, I've heard the side of the story that makes you out to be a killer, but I haven't heard your side yet. I think I might like to hear it."

"How far back would you like me to go?" Sol asked, standing up and walking to an unlit fireplace.

"How about to your first encounter with the cannibal, Sabastian isn't it?"

"I don't think he's a cannibal. It's true that he feeds on vampires, but it isn't like it sounds. At least I haven't seen it that way, yet," Sol started.

"Elizabeth had been at the head of our clan for...," Sol continued, explaining the story quickly to Gan. His host listened intently to the whole story without saying a word.

"...and I didn't have any other choice but to call on a favor, if only to buy some time," Sol said, alluding to the current state of affairs and bringing his narrative to an end.

"And I thought you sounded crazy when you said you threatened the existence of all vampires. If I didn't know that most of what you've said was true, I'd kill you out of kindness to put an and to your insanity."

"How kind of you," Sol said with a chuckle. "I actually do realize how insane it sounds, and the fact is I've left a number of the more unbelievable things out."


0236
"If you've left unbelievable things out, I'm sure my feeble imagination couldn't create a more lively tale than you've just weaved," Gan said. "But come back and sit. Do you have that list you claim John Paul gave you before he was killed?"

Walking back and sitting, Sol pulled the list from the inner chest pocket of his jacket. "Here it is. If you have any idea how to find anyone on this list, I would be in your debt if you would tell me."

Gan took the list and scanned it over. He nodded his head a few times, and then said, "I don't deal in debts, Sol. I deal in money. How about a million a head?"

"That seems expensive, but I don't see that I have a choice," Sol said coldly, though he was exhilarated by the thought of meeting one of the vampires listed, if only to know the contents of the letter he had been given. "What about my safety?"

"That'll be another million," Gan answered.

"And Jamie?" Sol asked.

"I'll throw Jamie in for free."

Standing and extending an arm, Sol said, "Then I think we have a deal."

Gan stood and shook his hand, saying, "So we do." He held Sol's hand far longer than polite and just looked into his eyes. Sol never wavered, returning the stare.

Finally letting go of Sol's hand and averting his gaze, Gan said, "You'll stay in the guest room next to my room. It is the safest room in the castle, after mine, of course."

"Of course," Sol said.

"You'll have free run of the castle, but don't leave the inner court. The little girl you saw outside is one of my best assassins. Perhaps the best now that you've killed her lover," Gan directed.

"I'll be sure to avoid her," responded Sol.

"That would be wise, particularly since I won't be here to protect you. Some of the names here will be difficult to locate. I believe this task will require me to do a fair bit of traveling."

"Are expenses in addition to your finders fee?" Sol asked.

Gan laughed, "No, no. I believe I've built in enough of a profit margin that I can swollow the expenses."

"That's encouraging to hear," Sol said.

Gan laughed again, then said, "Come I'll show you two to your room."

Gan led Sol and Jamie through a secret passageway behind the fireplace before which Sol had stood. After reaching a dead end, Gan put his hand on the wall and a door opened up leading to a stairwell that headed down.

Following Gan, Sol and Jamie both struggled not to fall in the pitch dark before a bend in the stairwell revealed a glimmer of light.

As they got closer, it was clear that the light was coming from an electric source.


0237
Around another bend, they came upon an elegant hallway, complete with chandeliers, chairs and plants. The light from the hallway allowed Sol to see just how dank and dungeon like the stairwell had been. There were just three doors in the short hall, one on either side and one at the end.

"The room at the end is mine," Gan said. "If you value your lives, you will stay out of it. The room on the left is yours." He walked over and opened the door, but remained in the hall.

"Who sleeps in the other room?" Sol asked.

"No one," he answered, but Sol could tell he wasn't being completely truthful.

Walking past Gan, he said, "Thank you." Jamie followed him into the room.

It was a stunningly appointed room, with a separate sitting area, bathroom, and bedroom. The furniture was modern, but obviously expensive.

"This is quite nice," Sol said.

"I don't like him and I don't trust him," Jamie said, flopping down on the couch.

"I'm not sure what to think yet," Sol said, sitting next to his friend. "I could tell that he was lying to us about the third room, which suggests that he's been honest up until then."

"Do you know that for certain?" Jamie asked.

"No, but I'm fairly confident of it," Sol answered. "Besides, how often am I wrong?"

"How often does my life hinge on you being correct?" Jamie shot back.

Sol chuckled, then leaned over and kissed Jamie's cheek. "There's little point in getting upset. This die is cast. Besides, if he wanted to kill us, he could have done so ten times over by now."

"I guess, but one thing irks me. What did you do for him that he owes you this favor?" Jamie asked.

"I let him live."

"What do you mean?"

"He was sent to the New World to kill Thomas. I found out and stopped him. I had three times as many men as he did and in the end it came down to a battle between he and I. I beat him, but let him live on the condition that he leave the New World immediately and that he owed me," Sol answered.

"You beat a true ancient?" Jamie asked.

"It had more to do with knowing the battlefield than being the stronger combatant," Sol answered. "I simply used my knowledge of New York City to wear him down. He was already tired from battling my troops. Honestly, though, it could have gone either way."

"And you trust him because of this?" Jamie asked.

"Yes, I think I do."


0238
The next night Sol and Jamie woke up, dressed and waited in their room for a few hours before venturing out. They weren't sure if they were supposed to wait for Gan to get them or just wander about the inner castle.

After a few hours, however, Sol figured waiting was not the correct answer, though Jamie was content to hide away and not risk any further confrontations. It took another hour to convince Jamie to leave the room.

Emerging from the fireplace, Sol and Jamie met the little girl from the night before. She was sitting in a large armchair waiting. It was an odd sight, this tiny little girl in bright colors dwarfed by the blood red chair.

"Good evening," Sol said to her.

She didn't respond.

"You realize I had no choice last night," he said.

She just looked at him.

After a long pause, Sol said, "Well then, I guess I'll go and find Gan."

"He's left," she said.

"Where did he go?" Sol asked.

"I'm not to tell you. I'm only here to protect you."

"From what?" Sol asked.

"I assume my twin sister. The one you've confused me with."

"You have a twin sister?"

"Yes. I'm the older by twelve days."

"Did Gan..."

"No. He took us in. Taught us what we were. What we are. Our sire has long been dead. In fact it was Gan that hunted him down," the girl interrupted.

"Why a twelve day difference in your births?" Sol asked.

She chuckled and then said, "I was made, but she wasn't. We didn't know why. Now we do."

"I don't understand," Sol answered.

"There are some that should never be made. I couldn't have known that, but our sire did. He could tell the she wouldn't be able to handle the change as well as I could.

"She isn't crazy like most who were made but shouldn't have been, but she is very volatile and difficult to control. Gan and I are the only ones who can handle her, now that you've killed her Grim."

"Gan said she was one of his best assassins. How can that be if she is so volatile?" Jamie shot in.

"Killing is the only thing she enjoys," the girl said, turning her attention to Jamie. "And if I were you, I would be very cautious. Sol took her Grim, she is likely to try and inflict a similar pain on Sol."

"Which means she'll try to kill me," Jamie said. "Great."

The little girl giggled. "You should be safe in the inner castle. Gan left word that you are both under his protection."

Jamie let out a resigned sigh, causing Sol to chuckle before asking, "Well, little girl, do you and your sister have names?"

"Her name is Belinda. Mine is Carmalinda. You can call me Car."

"It's nice to meet you," Sol said, extending his hand. "My name is Sol and my friend's name is Jamie."


0239
Sitting on a nearby couch, Sol said, "So Gan is off somewhere doing something and you can't tell me what or where."

"Nope," the little girl said.

"Can you show us around the inner castle?" Sol asked.

"Sure, if you want," Car answered.

"Please," said Sol, getting up and extending a hand to the girl.

She took his hand, stood up, and then curtsied to thank him. "We'll start at the top," she said.

"Jamie, are you going to join us?" Sol asked his friend.

"I would prefer to stay here and sulk, but I'm afraid her little sister would pop in and kill me," Jamie answered, following behind as they walked out of the room.

"A valid concern," Car said.

The first place she took them was the highest tower. It overlooked the entire castle and a large lake behind. The castle was actually situated on a shallow peninsula that thrust into the lake. The water effectively protected about half the castle.

While they were in the tower, Gan's clan could be seen training in the outer court. Car explained what they were doing and how the clan was structured into three teams.

Each team had a different specialty. One was for assassins, another for thieves, and another for mercenaries. The final group was the largest.

She also noted that there was a fourth, elite group that rotated through the others. Her and her sister were in that group.

While they were talking, a limousine with two large trucks behind it pulled into the outer court.

"Who is that?" Sol asked.

"I don't know," Car answered. "Let's keep moving."

"Not yet," Sol said, watching as a woman dressed in white was helped out of the limo by vampires from the trucks. She spoke briefly to one of Gan's men, and was then quickly escorted into the inner castle. Before she disappeared into the castle, however, she looked up at Sol.

"We can continue now," Sol said.

From there, they toured the rest of the castle. It was mostly bedrooms in the inner sections and workrooms on the outer walls.

While walking, Sol asked Car about her creation.

"It's not something I normally talk about, but the details are very simple. My mom was raped. She had twins. A few years later she was killed attempting to protect us.

"With no mother or father, we had nowhere to go so one of the old townsmen took us in as servants for his master. It turned out that he worked for a vampire that had a thing for little girls.

"I was made pretty quickly, but he just kept drinking from Belinda. I didn't know what was going on, so I did nothing at first. After twelve days, though, Gan and a troop of men came and started slaughtering our sire's coven. I made Belinda that night. I don't know why I did it, but it saved her life.

"We ran and hid, but Gan himself found us. We were so afraid after seeing him kill so many of the others that we just cowered before him. When he saw us, though, he fell to one knee and said, 'How could he have done this to children so young?'

"But he didn't kill us. He took us in and taught us. We are women in children's bodies. We are the perfect cover for others, or as assassins ourselves.

"A sick, twisted mind sired us, but Gan made us what we are."


0240
Back in the living room, Sol joked, "What? No visit to the torture chamber?"

Car chuckled, then said, "The only way to get in there is to be tortured."

"Oh," Sol responded, "let's hope I never have the pleasure."

The three chatted for a little while longer before Jamie said, "I don't mean to be rude, but I haven't fed in several days. I'm feeling a little hungry."

"I can remedy that," Car said with a smile. "I'll be right back."

After she left the room, Sol said, "She seems quite nice."

"I guess," Jamie said, "but I just can't get passed her resemblance to that other one. You know, the one who wants to kill me to get back at you."

"I'm sure we are safe under Gan's protection. Besides, I believe I would be able to differentiate between the twins if I needed to.

"Oh, you're back so soon," Sol said, stopping short the conversation with Jamie.

"Yes," the little girl said, walking into the room with three glasses of blood. She went over to Sol and handed him a glass.

Sol smiled and said, "Thank you."

She then passed a glass to Jamie, who also thanked her. She put the tray down, took the last glass and had a sip.

Jamie went to do the same, when Sol said, "I wouldn't drink that if I were you."

Jamie looked into the glass of blood and asked, "Why?"

"Can't you tell?"

"Tell what?" Jamie asked.

"This is Belinda, not her sister Carmalinda."

"What?"

"Can't you feel her anger?" Sol asked, putting his glass down.

Jamie gulped and put the glass down. The little girl just smiled at them, saying nothing.

"My understanding was that we were under Gan's protection," Sol said to her.

"You are," came Car's voice from the entryway. "Belinda, what are you doing?"

"He killed my Grim. I intend to kill his Jamie. Besides, Gan doesn't care about that one," she said pointing at Jamie. "He only cares about Sol."

"Then why did you poison my drink, too?" Sol asked.

Belinda laughed, "Mistakes happen."

Car walked sternly into the room, handing Sol two glasses. "I think my sister and I need to talk for a moment. If you'll excuse us." She took her sister by the hand and they left the room.

Sol got up and handed Jamie one of the glasses. "I believe these are safe."

"Are you sure?"

"No," Sol answered, before taking a long sip.

"How did you know?"

Sol looked at his friend and said, "We all have gifts. Mine is being able to sense things about others."



[The Vampire’s Daughter: An ongoing vampire story. Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005, 2006. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home