The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Book Two, Chapter 141 to 150

The Vampire's Daughter
Book Two
The Beginning of Another
Chapters 141 to 150


Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005.
All rights reserved.
-----


0141
"Well, Susan, maybe I'll see you around town again soon," the woman told the little girl, "but I have to get back to my run."

"We'll see each other soon," Susan answered.

The woman waved at Claudia and turned to run, when Susan said, "Goodbye Grandma Mary."

Clearly shocked, since she didn’t remember telling the girl her name, she just jogged off.

Memories flooded back to the woman as she ran. She missed her daughter bitterly. It had been less than a month since she found out that Jane had been killed and that her daughter, the woman's granddaughter, was lost.

Mary remembered the phone call from detective John Lewis. His name was seared into her memory because of the pain she felt in her heart when she found out her daughter had died. And when the detective came to the house and told them that their granddaughter was missing, something in her snapped.

That was the night she left. After detective John Lewis left, she couldn't do it anymore and she left, too. She ran upstairs, threw some clothing into a bag and got into her car. Her husband didn't even try to stop her.

It was like they both knew. They both knew it was over. The death of their daughter, their drug addicted daughter, was the ultimate sign of failure.

They didn't love each other anymore. He was too interested in his work and she grew tired of accommodating him. She didn't want a child in the first place, he did. She didn't care about money, he did. She didn't care about having the right friends, he did.

All she wanted was her husband. But that was too much to ask. She grew bitter. She resented her own daughter. He wanted the child, but didn't want to help raise her.

All he ever had were demands. For both of them. He demanded perfection and neither she nor her daughter could live up to his ideals.

Eventually her daughter cracked, gave up, and took off. And Mary didn't do anything to help her. She left her own daughter to die in her own home and then to die on the streets.

Even when Jane came back the last time, pregnant and asking for help, she didn't open up. She didn't confront the problem. She felt like it was all her fault.

So, when she found out her daughter was dead, she just left him. She went to stay with a friend of hers who was divorced. Someone she felt would understand. Since then she had spent most of her time thinking.

And it hurt even more that her husband hadn't once tried to contact her since she left.

Now she was seeing and hearing things. How could her granddaughter be in Rye? It was impossible to believe. Was the girl's name really Susan or had she just heard what she wanted? And Grandma Mary, that couldn't have been what she said.

As she ran back to her friend's house, Mary wondered how her life could have turned out so wrong.


0142
"You still not tell Sabastian?" Claudia asked Susan, as they watched the woman jog away.

"No."

"You not think this important?"

"It will be, but not yet," Susan said. "Sabastian has more important things to worry about now."

"O.K.," Claudia replied, as the woman turned a corner onto a side street.

Mary Angle jogged up to the door of her friend's house, sat on the stoop, and cried. She sat there for hours. She sat there until her friend came home from work.

"Mary, have you been crying again?" her friend asked, sitting down next to her.

"Sara, I think I need professional help."

"What?"

"The last few days I've been seeing this girl and I think she's my granddaughter. But I know she can't be."

"There there," Sara said, putting her arm around her.

"The girl said hi to me the other day in the diner. Then, when I went for my run, I saw her again.

"She said hello. I asked her name, she said it was Susan. At least I think she said that was her name. I don't know anymore. That's my granddaughter's name."

"Oh, Mary," Sara said, giving her a hug.

"Then, when I went to leave, I swear she said goodbye grandma Mary. But I don't think I told her my name. How could she know my name? How could she have called me grandma?" Mary asked in a sad whimper before breaking down again.

"Mary, maybe you should see someone. You're going through a confusing and difficult time. I know I needed to talk to someone when I left Bob, and, well, your situation is harder than mine was. I really think it could help."

"I want to, but I don't know anyone," she said. "I just don't know." Mary was confused and tired.

"Let's get you inside and into bed and I'll see if I can't find some numbers for you."

"Thank you so much Sara. I'm so sorry for all this. I know I'm a burden."

"Don't even say things like that Mary. We women have to stick together," she said, walking with her guest back into the house. "Remember when I found out my husband was cheating on me?"

"Yes."

"You stayed with me for a week. I know for certain that I would have killed myself if you hadn't taken the time to be with me. I don't think I can ever repay that debt, but consider this the first step."

"You're too kind to me," Mary said, as Sara put her into bed and pulled the covers over her. Mary went right to sleep.

"Oh Mary," Sara said running her hand over her friend's hair. "How could anyone deal with the loss of a child?"

After a few minutes, Sara stood up and went into her living room. She sat down, picked up the phone, and called Mary Angle's husband.


0143
"Bill, this is Sara, Mary's friend," Sara said.

"Hello Sara," Bill answered. "Mary's not home right now, perhaps I can take a message. I'll give it to her as soon as she gets back."

Sara was taken aback by both his words and his tone. He spoke as though Mary hadn't left him. "Bill, Mary is staying with me."

"Oh," he said. "Do you know when she's going to come home?"

Sara wasn't sure if Bill was stupid or if he was trying to cover up what he was really thinking and feeling, but she answered, "I think that's an issue for you and Mary to discuss."

"I guess you're right," he replied, "can you put her on?"

"No. She doesn't know I'm calling you. She thinks she may be seeing and hearing things. I'm hoping you can help get her in to see someone. Someone good."

"Oh, oh my. Yes, yes I can. I, I think she left your number here somewhere. I..."

Sara felt the change in him. He was devastated not only by the loss of his child, but by the loss of his wife. He was trying to keep up appearances, but underneath he was falling apart. "Let me give it to you again," she said.

"Oh, that would be wonderful. A good idea, yes. Let me find a, um, pen and paper. Hold on, uh, yeah, must have one around here somewhere. Ah, a pen. Now paper. Uh, oh, heck, I'll, um, just use this book. Shoot."

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah, yeah," he said.

She told him her number and, at his request, address, but told him not to come over under any circumstance. He agreed and said that, if he could pull a favor, he would try to get someone to talk to her tonight.

"Tell them not to say anything about your asking them. Tell them to tell Mary that I contacted them," Sara stated.

"I, I understand," he said before hanging up the phone.

He knew exactly where Sara lived, so he thought about the therapists he knew that lived around her. There were a couple, but Jack Miller was the best one.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Jack?"

"Yeah."

"Bill Angle."

"Hey, how are you?"

"Not so good. I need a favor."

"No problem, everything O.K."

"Not really, I haven't said anything to anyone, but a few weeks ago we found out that our daughter had died."

"Oh God. I'm sorry Bill."

"Thanks."

"Anything I can do..."

"Well, that same night my wife left me. I haven't heard from her at all. Tonight I get a call from the friend that she's staying with that she's hallucinating."

"That's not good, but with a trauma like the loss of a child it isn't uncommon."

"Well, I was hoping you could take a few minutes tonight and see her. Make sure that she's O.K. Maybe refer her to someone who can help her."

"Bill, I'd be glad to. I'm sure everything is fine."

"I hope so, I've screwed so much up in my life. I can't lose Mary, too."

"She'll be fine, we'll make sure of that" Jack reassured him.

Bill Angle gave Jack the address and phone number for Sara and asked him not to mention he was involved.

"For now I'll agree to that. But at some point she'll need to know," Jack said.

After hanging up, Jack told his wife the basic scenario of what was going on, leaving out names, and headed over to Sara's house.


0144
"Hello my name is Jack Miller, is your name Sara?"

"Yes."

"I'm looking for Mary Angle."

"Oh, yes. Did her husband..."

"Yes, but I'm under orders not to discuss his involvement. So, for now, you contacted me."

"That sounds good," Sara responded.

"Is Mary around?"

"She's sleeping."

"Well, can I come in? I wouldn't mind talking to you for a little bit before I speak with Mary."

Sara invited Jack in and the pair went into the kitchen to make coffee.

"So, how long has Mary been staying with you?" Jack asked.

"Since the night she found out her daughter was dead and that the police didn't know where her granddaughter was."

"So she got the bad news and left?"

"Basically."

"Hmm. What's she been doing?"

"Well," Sara answered, "she's been a housewife for all of her life so she's been cooking and cleaning. She's even doing my errands. It's actually kind of nice to have her around."

"So what made you contact me?" Jack asked.

"I found her crying on the steps when I got home after work. She usually goes for a jog at lunch. She was still in her running gear, so I think she was out there for five or six hours."

"That's it?"

"No. She was saying some odd things. She thought that she saw and spoke with her granddaughter."

"Is that possible?"

"I don't know. I mean, no one knows where she is, but it seems odd that she would turn up in Rye."

"So you think she's hallucinating."

"I have no idea, but she definitely thinks she is."

"Hallucinations aren't uncommon in traumatic losses, particularly when the loss is sudden. I should probably talk to Mary now."

"I'll go wake her," Sara said, as she left the room.

"Mary," Sara said, gently shaking her. "I want you to meet someone."

Mary woke up groggily and looked at the clock sitting on the nightstand next to the bed. "Oh God, what time... How long have I been sleeping?"

"A couple of hours."

"You said someone's here?"

"Yes."

"To see me?"

"Yes."

"It's not Bill, is it?"

"No, his name is Jack. He's a psychiatrist."

"Oh," she said, in a sad town. "I guess I did say I wanted to talk to someone. I just didn't think it would happen so soon."


0145
While Mary Angle was describing her problem to the therapist, Sabastian and Sol's furniture was being delivered.

"See Sabastian, it's very convenient to have lawyers to do things for you. If only to keep your money in order." He said this while playing with a chest full of paper money and gold coins. "If you don't mind, I'd like to have my man take your chests of money and open some accounts for you."

"I have always used hard currency. While I was living with Elizabeth she took care of money matters. After I left her, money was never much of an issue. I suppose that with Susan in my care it is more important to have things in order," Sabastian said.

"I hadn't thought about that, but yes that is a good reason."

"Please set a meeting up for me."

"A meeting?" Sol asked with a little shock.

"Yes. I want to know the person who I am trusting with my money, and, frankly, with my life."

"I think it's ill advised, but I'll do it."

"Thank you."

"I'm impressed Sol, you got the old dog to do a new trick," Mary said. "I never thought you'd get him to consent to it.

"Now I have a question for you."

"Yes Mary," Sol responded.

"Are you going to use this old stuff your men brought or are you going to go shopping with me tonight?"

"I'm not sure. I think I'd like to go shopping. The last few nights have been, well, stressful. I could use the rest."

"Sabastian, will you join us, too?" Mary asked.

"I would like to spend the evening with Susan. So I will do whatever she would like to do."

"I guess we should find her," Mary said.

"She is down by the water with Claudia," Sabastian said.

"How...," Mary said, then just stopped. "I'll go down and ask her if she wants to go shopping again."

Susan did want to go shopping, though Claudia decided to stay home. Both Sol and Mary owned sports cars, so they were forced to take two cars.

"I haven't had much time to get to know Susan. How about you ride with me?" Sol said, kneeling down to ask her.

Susan looked at Sabastian, who smiled at her, and she said, "Yeah, I'll go with you."

"I guess that means it's you and me Sabastian," Mary said, slapping him on the back. She was a little shocked at how solid Sabastian's body was when she hit him. It was the first time she had ever touched him.

"It appears so," he said to her with a smile.


0146
"So, Susan, how do you like the house?" Sol asked the little girl in the car with him.

"It's nice."

"Do you like the furniture that Mary bought you?"

"Yeah, I helped pick it."

"Hmmm," Sol said in agreement. He didn't know what to say to Susan. He wanted to ask about Sabastian and how they met, but it didn't seem right to him.

As Sol was thinking, Susan said, "You can ask."

"Ask what?"

"About how Sabastian and I met."

Sol was shocked by this statement. She seemed to be able to read his mind, and that disturbed him greatly. After noting that he had to guard his thoughts more carefully around Susan, he asked the question.

"He was there when my mom died," Susan replied.

"He killed your mom?"

"Not really. He saved her from herself. And he saved me, too."

"Do you know why?"

"Because he loves me."

"I meant do you know why he killed your mom."

"I know what you meant," Susan responded.

"He killed your mom because he loves you?"

"Yeah. I visited him a lot before that. When my mom's friends did bad things I would see Sabastian. He'd help me."

"I don't understand," Sol said.

"I'd see him when I dreamed."

"You saw him in your dreams at night?"

"No, usually in the day. When the bad things were happening."

"Bad things?"

"Yeah, but I don't wanna talk about that. I don't have to because Sabastian saved me."

"By killing your mom?"

"And adopting me!" the little girl exclaimed.

"You know what we are, right?"

"Yeah."

"Does that bother you?"

"No."

"Can you tell me what we are?"

"Some people call you vampires. Claudia says you're death. I think of you as cups."

"Cups?" Sol asked.

"Yeah, cups. Because you hold the people you kill inside of you. And one day God's gonna drink the souls up to heaven."

"And what if the souls don't belong in heaven?"

"Then the devil gets them. But most souls belong to God."

"And how do you know that?"

Susan looked at Sol, who turned his head from driving, and said, "I just do."

Sol quickly looked back to the road, but was obviously bothered by the piercing look Susan gave him. He felt as though she had walked into his soul and looked around.

"How do you know they don't belong to God?" Susan asked Sol, turning the tables on him.

"I don't."

"Then why can't they belong to God?"

"I guess I don't know. But how are you so certain that there is a God?" Sol asked Susan.


0147
"There's a God, I know because...," Susan started, but stopped as if she just remembered that she wasn't allowed to talk about it.

"Because why?" Sol prodded.

"Just because. If there weren't a God, Sabastian wouldn't have adopted me and you wouldn't be here."

"What do you mean, I wouldn't be here?"

"We're all part of his plan."

"His plan for what?"

"Only God knows that."

"Even Mary and Claudia?" Sol asked.

"Yes. We're all part of it."

Sol was confused. Everything Susan was saying sounded like it dovetailed into what John Paul said. But Susan didn't know John Paul or what he said. This wasn't the first time she had said strange things, either. It was as if she had some sort of powers, but what they were he couldn't tell.

Was Susan reading his mind and playing with him? Was she unaware of the fact that she was reading minds and incorporating other people's thoughts into her own fantasies? Or was she really here on a mission from God?

"Do you know what I'm supposed to do for God?" Sol asked.

"No, silly," Susan giggled. "Only you know that."

"Then how am I supposed to know what to do?"

"God will tell you if you listen right."

"Listen right?" Sol asked.

"Yeah."

"What does that mean?"

"God made everything. So it's all in his plan, right."

"O.K."

"Well, he'll let you know what to do cause your in his plan."

"But you know what we are. How can God include our kind in his plan."

"If you're here he must have."

"What if we aren't in God's plan. What if we are in the Devil's plan?"

"The Devil's plan is God's plan."

"But the Devil and God are opposites. How could they have the same plan?" Sol asked.

"Why don't you try asking God," Susan said.

"Ask God?" Sol chuckled. "Just call him up and ask him what his plan is and what part I'm supposed to play."

"Yeah."

"Does God talk to you when you pray?" Sol asked, as they pulled into the parking space next to Mary and Sabastian.

"He always does, just in his own way and time," Susan answered as she jumped out of the car.


0148
Susan ran over to Sabastian, who was stretching after getting out of Mary's tiny sports car. They looked at each other while he raised his arms high into the air and took a deep breath. Susan politely waited until he was done, then jumped into his arms.

"What'd you and Mary talk about?" the little girl asked.

"Nothing of any importance," Sabastian answered.

"Sol and I talked about God."

"Well, I am shocked that Sol was able to converse with you on such a weighty topic," said Sabastian.

"I assure you," Sol interjected, "she had the upper hand the whole time." All four laughed at Sol self depreciating joke, though Sabastian sensed there was a great of truth in the jest.

"Mary," Sabastian started, "Susan needs clothing. I fear I am not as up to date on fashion as you. Would you please take her and buy a fitting wardrobe while Sol and I look at furniture."

"Oh, darling, I would love to," she said, with mock showiness.

"Cool," Susan said, before wriggling down from Sabastian and taking Mary by the hand. She forcibly pulled the vampire to the mall entrance, leaving Sol and Sabastian behind.

Walking and talking, Sol asked "Have you ever talked to Susan about God?"

"No, it does not seem an appropriate topic for a child. I am surprised that you attempted it," Sabastian lied.

"I didn't intend to. It just sort of came up."

"I can only imagine how that came to pass," Sabastian said. "What is your preference, dark or light wood?"

"Dark, but I think I'll look at light for change of pace. Has she ever told you what she thinks of our kind?"

"No, that is another topic that has not arisen."

"She thinks we're God's cups."

"I presume she told you why."

"Yes," Sol responded. "According to her, we hold the souls of our victims until God or Satan comes to take them."

"That is a somewhat romantic view of our unique existence."

"I guess, but I've heard others describe us in a similar way," Sol said.

"I can see where the connection would arise. Although I do not know what you experience when you take a victim, I see their lives. Or at least the important portions."

"Yeah, that's what I experience. It's just, how does Susan know. Do you talk to her about us at all?"

"No, there has never been a need."

"It's like she just knows."

"Yes," Sabastian responded.

"She seems to know a great deal for a child."

"Yes."

"Do you ever wonder how she knows so much?" Sol asked.

"Yes, but I have never dwelt on the topic. She proves prescient more often than not."

"Has she ever been wrong?"

"No, but there are times when figuring out what she is trying to say is difficult. I am more likely to make a mistake than she."

"I'm beginning to believe that she is even more special than Claudia lets on."

"She is the most precious thing in my life."

"I don't doubt that," Sol said. After an awkward pause, he asked, "What did you and Mary talk about?"


0149
"Mary and I spent the drive discussing the Smithson clan and her sire, Tobias," Sabastian said to Sol as the lay together, testing out a bed.

"And what did she say?" Sol asked.

"She was far more open and honest than I had expected. It seems that the Smithsons started in Europe, but Tobias was, more or less, expelled to the New World because he killed his own sire to take control of the clan.

"Mary was instrumental in perpetrating this act. Life was so difficult for them afterward that they fled. Your friend Baal was created after they arrived here."

"I wonder what happened to Baal?" Sol asked.

"He finally had the freedom to confront me."

"Which, I assume, means he's dead."

"Yes. He was an evil creature, controlled by the bloodlust and greed for power."

"I'm certain you did the world a service. I can't imagine the pain he has caused."

"I live with it every day," Sabastian said.

"So you... You fed on him?"

"Yes."

"What was it like?"

"I saw every one of his victims. They still haunt my thoughts when I rest. He was one of the most vile creatures I have ever met."

"I didn't think he was that bad," Sol answered, feeling some loyalty to his former partner.

"He would lock up women and children for days and weeks, torturing them before ending their misery. He wanted them to beg for death."

"I didn't know that."

"I am certain you did not. I, however, know exactly how many died in that manner. What right did he have to judge a child?" Sabastian asked rhetorically.

"And you had to see every victim?"

"Yes, and, unfortunately, traumatic events, such as torture and death, tend to be powerful memories for victims. I assume the first thing you see when you take a victim is your own attack."

"I don't attack victims. I only take those that wish to die. I've never been able to stomach..." Sol stopped and looked at Sabastian, who knew all to well what Sol's last word would be.

"Interesting," Sabastian said. "It has been a long time since I have had a willing victim. If I remember correctly, the most acute memories are of the reasons for their desire."

"Yes," Sol answered.

"I imagine that these images are equally as painful."

"They can be quite upsetting."

"We all have our crosses to bear," Sabastian said.

"Interesting choice of words," Sol responded. "Did Mary say anything else of interest?"

"Just that she feels at peace with Susan. She doesn't know why, but, as with you, she sees something special in my little girl."

Sol noted that Sabastian used the word "my" to describe Susan, but responded, "I hope that tranquility remains. Baal's violence was only a symptom of a greater evil in that clan."

"Yes," Sabastian, responded, "she mentioned that her clan was violent and that she was no exception."

"Doesn't that worry you?" asked Sol.

"As with you, Susan wanted her to join us. She must have seen something in Mary that you and I would not."

"I hope she is right," Sol said, obviously holding back something he knew, or thought he knew.


0150
"There they are!" Susan exclaimed, running up to Sol and Sabastian. The pair were sitting on a bench by an indoor fountain in the mall.

"The little girl seems to have a homing beacon attached directly to you Sabastian," Mary joked, as she followed behind carrying several large bags.

"Did you find some nice clothing?" Sabastian asked Susan.

"Yeah, and Mary let me pick whatever I wanted, too."

"She has enough to last at least a couple of weeks," said Mary.

"Sol, I fear that our new companion may be as bad as Elizabeth where clothing is concerned."

"It seems as such, and you're letting her infect Susan with the same malady."

"Neither of you are funny," Mary responded. "Besides, we are all women first and vampires second.

"Besides, I'm not the only one here shopping. Right Sol."

"I confess, this is true."

"The mall is closing soon, did you find anything you like?" Mary asked.

"No. I think I'm going to stick with my current belongings for my room and revel in the new furniture you bought for the rest of the house."

"You're almost as boring as Sabastian."

"I think Sabastian's fun," defended Susan.

"Thank you," he responded.

"Well, then, Mr. Fun can carry the bags to the car," Mary said dropping them at his feet.

The group walked back to the car and headed home with the same seating arrangements.

Although Sol and Susan talked the entire trip, the conversation was trivial. Mary and Sabastian, meanwhile, didn't exchange any words until they pulled into the driveway and Sabastian said, "Slow down."

"Why?"

"We have visitors."

"Who?"

"I am not certain, but there are two outside, four inside and another two around the back."

"Oh that unfortunate old lady," Mary said.

"She is unharmed."

"If she's still alive, then she's probably serving them tea. She's always pushing that damn stuff on me."

Sabastian looked at Mary inquisitively, and then said, "Pull up behind the two cars."

"Those aren't cars, they're stretch limos. Very nice ones at that," she said, as they pulled into the large circular driveway in front of the house.

Standing outside the cars were two male vampires in old fashioned driver's uniforms. They were standing together in front of the first limo and stood tall and proper when Sabastian, Mary, Sol, and Susan got out of their cars.

Somewhat instinctively, Mary said, "Susan come stand with me." The little girl complied without a word.

Sabastian and Sol walked up to the two men, both of whom were Asian, and they bowed respectfully. The larger of the two said, "Our sire would like a word with you. She is in the house."

The drivers went back to their conversation, as the four walked to the house. When they approached the door, a female vampire, also Asian, opened it to let them in. She was dressed in a kimono. As they walked in, Sol asked Sabastian, "How many more are there?"

"At least five. Two are out back."

Once inside, the woman said, "My sire is waiting for you in the living room."

They followed her into their living room and, seated in the largest armchair, was a young Japanese woman flanked by two others. Claudia was sitting on the couch, obviously nervous.


[Copyright Reuben Gregg Brewer, 2005. All rights reserved.]

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home