The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Book One, Chapters 61 to 70

The Vampire's Daughter
Book One
Chapters 61 to 70

Copyright, 2003, 2004, 2005, Reuben Gregg Brewer, all rights reserved.



0061
"Since I am your guest Elizabeth, perhaps you could tell me where I am to rest," Sabastian said as dawn approached and their discussion of the past came to an end.

“You're my guest, you will stay with me," Elizabeth answered flippantly.

"In your bed?"

"Yes, it will be like old times."

"Very old times. Sol will be upset, will he not?"

"No, he will not. Sol keeps to himself. I told you he reminded me of you, didn't I?"

"Yes, but if it is all the same, I still think another room would be more appropriate."

"Not if I am to keep control of the present situation.

"Sol is resting outside the only known entrance to this room to guard you. And that without my asking. He is worried for your safety, as am I. To put you into another room is too risky.

"If you refuse to rest in my bed, then you can spend the day on the floor. You may not, however, leave this room."

"I appreciate your concern. I will take the floor."

"Always the moral and ethical highroad," Elizabeth groused as she undressed.

Sabastian watched, answering, "Yes, we did offset each other quite well."

"That is what I loved and hated about you. It is why I always tried to push the envelope,” Elizabeth responded, turning toward Sabastian purposefully. She was naked, and, as was her custom in ages gone by, was flaunting her beauty. She had long since stopped this behavior with Sol, he didn’t seem to care if she were naked or not. But Sabastian was acutely aware of Elizabeth’s attractiveness and lack of clothing.

"But eventually I pushed too far," Elizabeth said with a smile, relishing the obvious impact of her nudity on Sabastian. "I am glad to see you again, Sabastian. Under any circumstance."

Sabastian returned the smile, walked to the wall opposite the door, and sat hunched against it.


0062
Detective John Lewis got up early that morning. He walked into Wayne Cashman's living room to find Wayne asleep on the couch. John decided not to wake him up until after he had showered and dressed.

Once he completed that task, he shook Wayne awake and asked, "You want anything special on your ham, egg, and cheese?"

"Huh, um, no. Wait, no, I want ketchup."

"Good, get ready to go and I'll be back in a few. OJ good for you?"

"Yeah, OJ is fine," he answered rubbing his eyes. "Wait, What? Ready to go? Go where?"

"You're my backup," John announced, as he headed out the door.

"Oh man," Wayne said as he did what he was told.

When Wayne came out of the bathroom, dressed and ready to go, John had the food laid out on the table and was breaking down Wayne's 9mm. "Man, you sure take your time getting ready. I got us food, cleaned the mess you had in the kitchen, and still had time to play with your toy here. I hope the food ain't cold."

"Thanks," Wayne said as he sat down and grabbed his sandwich.

"This gun is in good shape. How's the food?"

"Good. You know I don't want to go with you, wherever you’re going."

"Yeah, I know, that's why I'm not giving you a choice."

"Nice," was all Wayne said, but he was thinking, "First you take me downtown and kill my business. Next you barge into my house and dictate that you are living with me for a while—and you take my room, no less. To add insult to injury, I have to be your backup. I’ll never get my business back now, do you realize what you’re doing to me?"

"I need to head to mid-town to find a woman called Janet Long. I think she's got something to do with the case. She might have the little girl," John said, hoping that this would be enough to get Wayne interested.

"Susan?"

"Yeah, I thought you could help identify her," John answered.

"Yeah, I can do that."


0063
By the time John and Wayne got to Janet's apartment, she and Susan were just crossing the Delaware Bridge. In fact, at the exact moment John was walking up to buzz her apartment, Janet was grumbling about the excessively large toll she had to pay to drive through the smallest state in the Union.

Ringing Janet’s doorbell obviously did not result in an answer, so John rooted around until he found the superintendent. The nice older Hispanic man let them in to the building and the apartment for twenty bucks.

"Don't touch anything Wayne," John ordered as he headed in to the apartment.

"No problem, I'll wait out here," was his reply. "Last time I checked, what you’re doing was called breaking and entering."

"You watch too much television," John shot back. "But it’s probably a good idea for you to wait outside anyway."

It didn't take long for John to figure out that there was a child staying in the apartment. There was a pile of crude drawings in the living room. The lack of any photos of a child, however, solidified his belief that it was Susan Angle. If Janet were her mother, she’d probably have plastered the apartment with her daughter’s photos.

He picked through the carefully arranged piles of drawings on the floor. They were indeed crude children's art, mostly of what appeared to be a little girl and a tall man. In some, the little girl was with a woman, but mostly the pictures were of the girl and a man. John took one drawing.

"Well, I think Janet has the girl," he said leaving the apartment. "There are a ton of kid's drawings in there. This one of a little girl walking with a man fits with what a witness to the murder described."

"Witness, I thought you said you had nothing to go on?" asked Wayne.

"The witness was killed a few nights ago."

"Oh, I wish I hadn't asked."

"Everyone that had direct contact with the murder is dead except me and the girl."

"And you're living with me, great!

"Uh, I don't know if this matters, but the lady in that apartment keeps opening her door to look at us," Wayne said as Claudia's door open and shut again.

"Could be a nosey neighbor, or maybe more. Even if she's just a nosey old lady, she could probably tell us if Susan was here. Good catch, Wayne. We'll make something out of you yet."


0064
John walked over and knocked on the old lady's door.

"Who is it?"

"Hello, my name is John Lewis. I'm a detective with the New York City Police Department. I was wondering if my partner and I could talk to you for a couple of minutes?"

Claudia opened her door and gave both John and Wayne a good look. She paid particular attention to Wayne, looking him directly in the eyes for a long time.

"Come in," Claudia finally said, turning and leading them into her living room, "my name is Claudia." The two men gave each other a quick look as if to say, "What was that all about?"

"Sit, I make tea."

“Thank you, but we don’t…,” John started, but it was obvious that Claudia was going to make tea whether or not John wanted any.

Wayne listened to the clinking in the kitchen, but John, frustrated at having to wait for the old woman to make tea, started snooping around. He quickly found some pictures Susan had drawn and given to Claudia. He showed them to Wayne.

Claudia came back shortly after her tea kettle whistled saying, "There's no point telling you I not know about Susan."

"Thank you for the tea," John said to be polite. "So, tell me what you know about the little girl and Janet Long."

"Janet is good woman. She ask me to take care of girl while she work. She is doctor and work long hours. She said Susan was her relative. We both knew she was lying, but she meant well. Like me, she does not have any family. I like to talk to her, to help.

"It was pleasure to watch little girl. Susan is very special girl. Like you, detective, she has seen death and lived."

"What?" Wayne asked, almost spilling his tea as he leaned forward. John shot him a dirty look to stop him from talking anymore. Wayne shrugged and leaned back again.

"Did the girl tell you anything about her real mother?" John asked pointedly, trying to link Sabastian to the murder.

“Your friend understand better what I mean,” she said, seemingly ignoring John’s question. She was again looking deeply into Wayne’s eyes, though, strangely, it didn’t upset him in the least. She nodded at him and continued, “He see it in your eyes. You have met this Sabastian that the little girl love so much."

"What do you know about this man?" John asked, hoping that he had gotten the information he needed to link his strange visitor to the murder.

"Man? He is no longer man. Years ago, maybe, but not now. Now he is death."

"Oh boy," Wayne said softly. He knew there was something in John that was different. He figured it was the cop mentality, but it wasn't. This crazy old lady was right, John was chasing after something big. He was chasing his own demons. He was looking for death—his own.

Assuming Claudia had lost her mind to old age after the death comment, John decided he had better things to waste his time on and asked, "Can you tell me where the two have gone?"

"They go on trip for few days. They come back soon."

"Do you know where?“

“No, she not tell me that.“

“Do you know when they’ll be back?”

“No, she not tell me that either.”

“OK, thanks for your time. We'll try back," John said, gulping his tea and shuffling Wayne out the door.

On the way down the stairs, Wayne grumbled, "You could have waited for me to finish my tea."

"She was crazy, it was a waste of time talking to her."

"I don't know, I don't think she was crazy."


0065
John spent the rest of the day at Wayne's place making calls. He made sure to call with his cell phone so no one could tell where he was.

He even touched base with the Chief. He told him that he decided to take a road trip down to the Florida Keys. "Everything is wonderful down here," he lied. "It's just the break I needed. Thanks Chief, I'll call ya in a few days."

The other calls he made were to check up on Janet Long. He found out she was, indeed, a doctor, got her work location, and some other less useful stuff.

Wayne, meanwhile, spent the day with the shakes because he didn't feel right doing drugs in front of a cop.

"You O.K. in there, buddy?" John asked at the door to the bathroom after listening to Wayne throw up for the third time.

"Uh, yeah. I'm OK. I just need to be alone for a while."

"Look, Janet's not coming back for a few days. Why don't you come out, I'll do what I can to help."

"No, I'm O.K. It was just something I ate."

"Something you ate? You're detoxing Wayne. Let's get you comfortable. You're no good to me like this, I need you straight."

For some reason, the switch from John caring about him to simply using him made Wayne feel better. He came out.

"Hello! You look horrible."

"Thanks, I'm sleeping in my room."

"Only if you show me where you stash your dope."

He did and John got rid of it all. John then made some more calls, but this time from a chair leaning up against Wayne’s bedroom door.

Susan, meanwhile, was having a great time in the Smithsonian Museums. She had never been to a museum, and she was truly enjoying the trip. This, of course, brought great joy to Janet.

The next few days were spent in much the same way for Wayne, John, Janet, and Susan. Sabastian, however, was involved in a delicate game of cat and mouse.


0066
"Did you sleep well?" Sabastian asked as Elizabeth began to show signs of waking.

"Mmm, yes I did."

"I see you still sleep late."

"And you rise way too early," she answered groggily. Getting up, Elizabeth said, "Help me pick my clothing."

"You would have me play dress up while I am a prisoner?"

"Oh posh, yes I would. You are always so serious." She walked over to her closet and pulled out a dress, "What about this one?"

"No, I do not think brown is a good color for you. You do realize that your friends threatened to kill me?"

"Yes, I'm well aware of that fact. You know, brown really isn’t my color, I don’t know what possessed me to buy this. I think Sol said it looked good on me just to get me out of the store.

"How's this one?" she pulled an ultra short skirt out.

"Your legs are beautiful, but surely that is too short even for your taste."

"Hmm, yes. You're right. This is another one that Sol said looked good on me, I’m not sure I should trust his taste. And I have nothing to wear as a top."

"So, what do suggest we do, Madam President?"

"I don’t think there is anything we can do about Sol’s taste in clothing. I just have to learn to take it into account when he accompanies me on my buying sprees."

"You know what I mean," Sabastian said in a more serious tone.

"Well, you could come and help me by looking in that side of the closet." Sabastian, falling into old habits, went to the closet.

"Elizabeth, you know what I am talking about."

"Yes, I do know what you are talking about. How's this one?"

"I do not care for the pattern. I would very much like to go home."

"That is no better an idea today than it was last night. Ah ha! Skin tight, patent leather pants."

"Yes, I think they will look good. This azure blouse would accent the pants nicely. And highlight your eyes."

"Yes, this will be my outfit tonight," Elizabeth pronounced as she pulled the pants onto her naked frame. "Just like old times."

"To some degree."

"Yes, to some degree. I miss it, sometimes. Sol does not care to play with me much anymore. He is like you, but still very different. No matter how much anger there was between us, we always interacted. There are stretches when I won't see Sol for months.

"He is, however, very reliable. And, when he is around, faithful. I don't really know what he does when he's not here.

"And in truth," she said as she finished buttoning her blouse, "I’m busy much of the time with this silly Tribunal. I only took the post because Thomas asked me."

"Thomas, your sire," Sabastian said scornfully. "Did you know that he tried to have me killed on a number of occasions?"

"He mentioned it, but he did stop after a while. And besides, that was a very long time ago."

"Yes, it was."

"Oh posh, let it go and tell me how beautiful I look."

"You are as beautiful as ever Elizabeth, as beautiful as I remember. Perhaps more so, if that is possible."

"Thank you."

"Now, about our current problem."


0067
"Yes," Elizabeth started, "about our little problem. I will remain here to continue discussions with the Tribunal. You will go with Sol to my home."

"I will? Not two seconds ago you said leaving was a bad idea."

"Do try to work with me. Yes, you will. It will be safer for all involved if you are not here and not in your own home.

"I will try to end things quickly and come home so that we may talk more."

"If I decide not to do this?"

"Sabastian, please. I'm trying to help."

"Fine, I will go. Though I wish you to remember that it is against my will."

"Noted." In a louder voice she said, "Sol, please come in."

Sol entered and bowed to both.

"What do you think of my outfit?"

"It's O.K., I guess. I believe it would be best for Sabastian to leave the Tribunal's headquarters," Sol stated. “There is a crowd gathering already and I’m certain it will be larger than the crowd from last night before long.”

"See what I mean Sabastian, he doesn't even care about my clothing. But loyal beyond compare," Elizabeth said giving Sol a kiss on the cheek.

"I am sorry madam President, the urgency of the situation distracted me. You look, as always, stunning."

"Hmm, thank you. Take Sabastian out the back way and go to my home. Be discreet."

"I will," Sol answered. He walked over to the closet, and pulled open a secret door. "This way, if you please."

Sabastian bowed to Elizabeth and went to follow, when she held him by the shoulder. Sol looked away as Elizabeth turned Sabastian to face her.

She kissed him on the lips and then nuzzled his ear.

"I am the last one to lecture you about mistakes, Sabastian. You have helped me out of more scrapes than I care to admit. Please allow me to help you now."

Stepping back and looking her in the face, he answered, "I will try."

"Yes, I know it is hard for you to trust anyone. Least of all me. But believe me, I only want what is best for you."

At that, Sabastian turned to follow Sol. The secret passage led directly to an alley behind the Tribunal's headquarters. From there, the pair moved swiftly through the city to Central Park. They crossed the park and entered a building that overlooked it.


0068
Elizabeth's home was the penthouse apartment of a rather large old building overlooking Central Park. It actually encompassed the top three floors, including a beautifully landscaped terrace.

It was filled with the trinkets she had collected over many, many years. "You'll have to forgive the appearance," Sol said as they walked in. "I don’t believe Elizabeth was expecting company."

"She would not have cleaned even if she had been expecting company. Besides, I am used to her disarray.

"I even remember some things. Not many, though, there was a fire in our last residence together. It destroyed almost everything we had."

"Yes, she has spoken of that night. I believe you were the one who set the fire."

"I was. I needed to cover up some evidence."

"Of what?" Sol questioned.

Sensing that his lack of knowledge was genuine, Sabastian said, "I see she tells you stories, but leaves out important details. Well, they are hers to share or not share. I suggest you ask Elizabeth for the answer to that question.

"Do you live here as well, Sol?" Sabastian asked, changing the topic.

"At times. I have my own place and, at this point, I spend more time there than I do here."

"Yes, she can be overwhelming. Or would exasperating be a better description?"

"I think you are being kind," Sol answered with a smile. Then, more seriously, he said, "I simply can't be with her as I was before.

"My love for her has not changed, but..."

"Dealing with her oft juvenile behavior has become too much for you," Sabastian completed his sentence.

"Yes, I sense that you understand my difficulty all too well."

"Indeed. Tell me Sol, you are Italian?"

"Yes. She made me while looking for you. I believe I was meant to be your replacement."

"You seem as though you would do an excellent job."

"I did, for awhile."

"But now you are close to leaving. I spent many years on the verge of departing myself."

"What pushed you to go?"

"The same reason that I started the fire."

"Which is Elizabeth's story to tell," Sol answered, smiling again.

"Yes."

"You, too, remain loyal."

"I have not forgotten my love any more than you have. Shall we talk about something less, delicate?"

"That's a good idea. What shall we discuss? The weather? The spread of the Roman Empire? The modern sport baseBaall, perhaps the Mets?"

"Do you know much about human politics?" queried Sabastian.

"I believe I know enough to have a conversation."

"Then let us debate democracy."


0069
Sabastian and Sol were deep in their discussion when Elizabeth arrived several hours prior to daybreak.

"Elizabeth," Sol said as she entered the room, "join us, we are debating the relative merits of democracy."

"Democracy? Tonight I would prefer a dictatorship," she retorted.

"Things did not go well?" asked Sabastian.

"Let's see. The others questioned my ability to lead, threatened to disband the Tribunal, and they want you killed. All in all, a wonderful evening."

"So what was the resolution?" queried Sabastian.

"Nothing. Though I think I could persuade them to drop the inquiry if the girl and police officer were dealt with."

"By dealt with, you mean killed?"

"Sabastian, you know very well that is what they want."

"Well, if I can be of assistance, please let me know. I believe there is still time for me to get home. Sol, it has been pleasant. The last time I enjoyed myself this much was with Elizabeth. We must do this again."

"Sabastian," Elizabeth stated angrily, "this is no time for jokes."

"My dear, I am not joking. There is very little I can do to assist you in these matters. As I explained before, I do not know any more than you. In fact, I probably know less than you do about this situation. Since I can be of no help, I prefer to go home."

"Sabastian, you are well beyond the point where you need my protection. We both know that. But my advice is another matter.

"I beseech you, please stay with me. The others would not dare do anything while you are under my political protection."

"I am hardly afraid of what the Tribunal will do," Sabastian answered.

"Although I head the Tribunal, there are powerful factions within it that would like to see you killed. They have sympathetic ears within the ranks of the Enforcers. If you leave, they will try to kill you."

"She tells the truth, Sabastian," Sol injected.

"Let them come to kill me. Others have tried and yet I still live."

"The Enforcers are more organized now then when the Tribunal was a fledgling government," shot Elizabeth. "Would you die over the lives of two humans?"

"It appears that it does not matter what I would do, the Tribunal has already decided my fate," Sabastian said. He walked over to Sol and kissed him on the cheek and said, "I will say hello to our friend Baal when he comes to kill me." Sol simply smiled and shook his hand.

Elizabeth, who by this time was fuming with anger, he kissed on the lips. "Do not worry," he said to her, "I am well aware of the danger. I have lived through such danger before." She held him tightly.

"It's the little girl, isn't it?" Elizabeth whispered in his ear. "She reminds you of your own child. The one from which I tore you away."

Sabastian stepped back emotionless. "Good night to you both."


0070
As soon as Sabastian stepped out of the building, he could sense he was being watched. "I guess there will be guests awaiting my arrival," he said out loud.

He moved quickly through the streets to allow himself as much time to fight as possible. He didn't want dawn interfering with the fun.

He decided the best course of action would be to go through the front door. If they meant to surprise him, he would sense them. If they wanted confrontation, the front courts would be as good a place to fight as any. Plus, he wished to avoid destroying his home. It was always difficult finding someone to do repairs by night.

As he walked up, Baal was sitting alone on a bench in the first courtyard.

"Hello Baal, I did not expect to see you quite so soon."

"We have unfinished business," Baal retorted curtly.

"Do we? I cannot imagine what that would be," Sabastian said walking directly up to Baal. He stopped at an aggressive, yet not impolite distance.

"Your death," Baal said with a smile.

"Well, if that is the case, do have your friends come out so that I may at least have a fighting chance."

Baal snapped his fingers and three Enforcers came from the second courtyard.

"There are two more on the roof," Sabastian said nonchalantly.

"So there are," Baal said with some trepidation, he was surprised—his adversary knew more than he expected. "Come down," he commanded.

"And the young lady in the back? Should you not call her to you as well?"

To one of his companions, Baal said, "Fetch Sam." There was a mixture of anger and frustration in Baal's face. He intended to surprise Sabastian, but, obviously, his plan had failed.

When Sam arrived, Sabastian said, "Seven, I believe I can handle this."

"Seven Enforcers," Baal said with scorn. "I have yet to see even one Enforcer defeated."

"Then I suppose your friends are an audience and not here to help you?" Sabastian asked with a wry smile.

"I won't need any help killing you," Baal said announced, causing the others to laugh defiantly.

From behind Sabastian, Sol's voice boomed, "You will kill no one tonight!"

"Who are you to tell me what to do? Now that Dana's dead, you think you're in charge," Baal confronted.

"Dana's death did not make you judge and executioner any more than it promoted you above my rank as second in command. Until the Tribunal selects a replacement, I am in charge.

"You will disperse immediately!"

The seven Enforcers looked at each other and started to leave. Baal was the last, departing with the closing salvo, "This isn't over."

"Thank you very much, Sol, but I believe I could have handled the situation without your assistance," Sabastian said to Sol as he turned around.

"I didn't come here to help you. I came to save their lives. I have it from good authority that you would have prevailed at their expense," Sol answered.

"Well, thank you just the same. I do not enjoy killing.

"It is nearly daybreak, you should stay with me for the day."

"I welcome the invitation and gratefully accept your hospitality."

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. It is the best thing I have had the plesure of reading in a long time.

Friday, March 26, 2010 9:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home