The Vampire's Daughter

A story about a young girl named Susan who is taken in by Sabastian, the vampire that killed her mother. New readers should start with Book One.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Book One, Chapters 51 to 60

The Vampire's Daughter
Book One
Chapters 51 to 60

Copyright, 2003, 2004, 2005, Reuben Gregg Brewer, all rights reserved.



0051
Detective Lewis went through Wayne Cashman's room putting anything that bothered him into a big plastic bag. Drug paraphernalia, such as Wayne's works, old food and drink remnants, and the bedding all went. He gave them to Wayne as he walked out the door to buy new bedding.

It was obvious to John that Wayne really was a good kid at heart. If he could just break out from under the drugs, he might actually be able to do something with his life. He hadn't seen too many people do it, though, and he didn't hold out much hope. But this wasn't John's main concern right now—he needed food, bedding, and clothing for tomorrow’s encounter with Janet Long.

It wasn't too late yet, so John was able to find a Conway that had everything he needed, except dinner. The clothing he bought was cheap, and normally not what he would choose to wear, but it was adequate. He also picked up some off brand toiletries.

John decided to go back to the apartment to drop his purchases off and to get Wayne. It was only appropriate that a guest should take his host out to eat, at least once. Besides, he needed Wayne to buy him a gun since the Chief had taken his away.

Wayne was still sitting on the couch when John walked in and asked, "So, how about dinner?"

"What?"

"I'm your guest, I should thank you. Where’s a good place to eat?"

With a sigh, Wayne answered, "There’s a deli down the street. They have good food at the buffet bar, and it's cheap."

John was thinking of something a bit nicer, but if this was what Wayne considered dinner, so be it.

On the way, John broached the subject of a gun. "You can have mine. I've only shot it a couple of times—never at anyone. I keep it clean and oiled," was the response. "It's a 9mm, like the cops use."

"Great," said John, surprised that Wayne owned such a formidable weapon. He figured the kid would own a dinky old .22, if anything at all.

"Perhaps there is more to this kid than meets the eye," John thought as he eyed Wayne.


0052
Sabastian and Sol walked and talked as he was led to meet the Tribunal. Baal walked behind them with the two other Enforcers. Sol was very interested in Sabastian.

Sol explained that the ancients were well aware of his existence and his strength. Most of the young, though, thought the stories were exaggerations.

"And yet you have great respect for my rumored power," noted Sabastian.

"Yes, unlike many of my age, I do not believe myself to be invincible. And I have it from good authority that most, if not all, of the stories about you are true."

"Really, and who is your authority?"

"The founder of the Tribunal. And, these stories are corroborated by the current president, whom you will soon meet."

Sabastian didn't think much about this comment.

"What I don't understand, and no one seems to have a good answer, is why you gave up the city? Why you allowed others to come in?"

Sabastian noted that Sol had slowed the pace considerably during the walk and was purposefully taking wrong turns to delay their arrival. The conversation, though, was not an attempt to get information about the killing. Sol was truly interested in Sabastian.

"You are young yet, you would not understand the feeling of loneliness when your only purpose is to kill. And when the bloodlust subsides, and killing looses its purpose, there is nothing left. You exist for no other reason but to exist."

"It is true, then, you don't need to feed?"

"Not as before. I could probably live for a year on a single kill."

"My God," Sol exclaimed, "I need to take blood at least every other night. Even the president feeds every few days."

"Some feed because they enjoy it," replied Sabastian. "Others because they weaken themselves by siring too frequently."

"Is it also true, then, that you have never sired another?"

"You seem to know a great deal about me. Your sources must be very good."

"History intrigues me," answered Sol shyly.

With a smile Sabastian said, "Indeed, I have never sired. But, the night grows long and our walk is further than it need be. I should like to get this meeting over with.

"Perhaps, if there is time and opportunity, we could continue this discussion at a later date."

"I would like that," answered Sol as he led Sabastian on a more direct route. They were silent until they arrived at the Tribunal's meeting place.


0053
Sol opened the door for Sabastian and led him past a throng of onlookers awaiting their arrival. Sabastian's presence was, apparently, an important event.

"A lot of our kind has gathered for this chat," he said to Sol as the crowd opened before them.

"I am not the only one who finds your name of interest. Most are here just to see if you really exist," Sol answered with a chuckle.

"I am not sure I like the notoriety, anonymity suits me better. Now, anyway"

"Perhaps, but your past deeds make that impossible.

"This way," Sol said as he opened a black door with a triangle on it. Walking ahead a few paces into the dark room, he announced, "As per your Lords' request, Sabastian."

"Thank you Sol, as always you have performed admirably," a woman's voice rang out in the dark.

"Thank you Madam President, it is an honor to serve."

From the voice, Sabastian knew who the President was. She had masked herself well, which surprised him, but now that he was here, she had let her guard down. He wondered how long she had been in the city, let alone in charge of the Tribunal.

Blinding lights from behind three seats on a stage were turned on. All that could be seen were the silhouette of the chairs.

Sabastian decided it would be easier, for the moment, if he pretended he didn't know the President. As for the others, he could sense that they were too young to be much of a bother. He guessed, wrongly, that they were puppets put in place by Madam President so that she could have complete control of the city.

"Why have I been brought before the Tribunal?" Sabastian asked, with just enough anger in his voice to let the Tribunal know he was not pleased to be standing in front of them.

"My dear Sabastian," the woman's voice rang out, "do you not remember me?"


0054
Now that she had opened the door, Sabastian said, "Yes, Elizabeth, I remember you. One does not easily forget their sire. Why have you brought me here?"

"We have brought you here to talk, that is all. But, perhaps, it would be best if we spoke alone first. I can see that you are angry and the others aren't accustomed to your moods."

"Whatever you wish Madam President," Sabastian answered in a serious tone, though Elizabeth knew he was playfully mocking her.

She stepped down from the stage after a quick reassuring glance to the others. Sabastian could not see this because of the lights. She walked to Sabastian with her hand extended. Dutifully, Sabastian took Elizabeth's hand and kissed it.

She was as radiant as ever. Her porcelain skin almost glowed. And deep inside Sabastian was actually happy to see the one who made him, the one with whom he had spent so many years. And these feelings existed despite the difficult way in which they separated.

"The years have treated you kindly," Sabastian said holding her hand just slightly longer than was polite.

"Thank you Sabastian. You look pretty good yourself, even if your cloths are a bit outdated."

"But then I was never as stylish as you," he responded, noting that she had taken on what was often referred to as gothic dress. It suited her well, as it was a pleasant mix of modern and old.

"Let's move to my chamber so we can speak privately," Elizabeth said, boldly taking his hand and leading him back through the throng of onlookers. She eyed them powerfully and defiantly, Sabastian simply acknowledged their presence and no more.

Once in the room, Elizabeth was the first to speak. "Before we start this, I want to settle old scores."

"Certainly."

"Are you still a prudish little virgin holding out for her wedding day?"

With a smirk, Sabastian responded, "Are you still whoring about indiscriminately?"

"No, I have learned many lessons since we parted. The least of which was selectivity.

"From what I am led to understand, though, you are the same as you always have been."

"This is true, I keep to myself and have not sired another in all these years."

"Is it true what they say about you once controlling the city?"

"Yes, but my control was different than what is now in place."

"So it is true that you killed any that came here."

"Yes."

"Why did you stop? You reigned over one of the most important cities in the world. You could have had anything you wanted. Why cede control?"

"Power is not something I truly desire, and, anyway, it was not a thing that happened all at once.

"When I took control of the city I did so to be alone, not to demand tribute or favors. It started slowly.

"At first I protected my domain out of fear. Living through one too many incestuous covens taught me to trust no one. It was one of the few lessons I had not learned in my time with you," he said with a respectful nod.

"At first my actions attracted more of our kind. Those who felt I needed to be stopped. As you can see, they failed in their efforts. The more that tried, the angrier I got. The angrier I got, the more I expanded my domain. I was ruthless and vicious. Eventually all but the most foolish avoided my city.

"But when I no longer needed to fear others of our kind, I simply grew less and less concerned with our kind.

"And as the years past, so did the fear that others felt. More and more of our kind ventured into the city. I paid little attention to them because I no longer cared. I no longer cared about anything at all."

"Then you understand how I felt when we parted," Elizabeth stated sadly.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry."

"I am not. Today, no matter how foolish, I feel more alive then when you sired me."

"What changed?"

"Everything," Sabastian answered.

"Sabastian, is it true that you drink the blood of our kind?" Elizabeth asked with no warning.


0055
"Is that what they say about me?" Sabastian asked in order to avoid the question. In years past Elizabeth would have sensed his deceit, but his skill at shielding his thoughts had strengthened considerably since they last met. Not to mention that the two hadn’t seen each other in years and were much less aware of each other’s subtleties.

"Yes, it is what they say."

"Interesting. Is that why I am here? To pay for what you believe to be my past misdeeds?"

"No, you are here because there was a body left for the humans to find."

"So Sol said. And you believe I killed the human and left it to be found? That is a mistake only the young and the stupid make," Sabastian said deriding himself as his only excuse was, indeed, stupidity.

"We don’t know. But the Enforcers saw you at the scene of the crime. We want to know your involvement."

"Idle curiosity."

"Enforcers have disappeared trying to cover up the crime."

"I am sorry to hear that."

"I don't believe that."

"Would you believe that I do not care?"

"Yes, I believe you don't care. But the problem is that others do care. And like it or not, they believe you are responsible."

"And I should be concerned about this?"

"Yes, you should. We are trying to tie up all of the loose ends. And so long as you are involved, you are a loose end."

"Are you threatening me Elizabeth?"

"No, I am not, but we, the Tribunal, are."

"I do not appreciate being threatened."

"That is why I'm speaking with you in private. I knew all to well how you would react."

"Why not just kill me, that is the Tribunal's usual form of justice, is it not?"

"And who would dare take on the great Sabastian after hearing the stories that are told about you? Only a fool would do so."

"Baal seemed eager to attempt it."

"Yes, that is why I sent Sol. He is more sensible.

"Baal, and many other Enforcers, are angry because their leader was one of those that disappeared."

"Really?" Sabastian said with disinterest, though internally he was surprised at how easily he killed the leader of the Enforcers. He wondered which one was the leader since neither were difficult to dispatch.

"Basically, my dear," Elizabeth continued, "It would require an edict to the entire New York City community demanding your death. At the very least, the Enforcers would try to hunt you down, while, at the other end of the spectrum, the entire New York City community would."


0056
"Sabastian don't you see? Who else in this city could defeat someone powerful and cunning enough to rise up to lead the Enforcers?

"Only the ancients, all of whom are accounted for, and you. The secretive and elusive Sabastian that just happens to take an 'idle' interest in a mundane killing. An interest strong enough to allow himself to be openly seen by those he normally shuns."

"Let them confront me."

"Are you so bold as to believe you can take on an army of Enforcers? And it wouldn't stop there, Sabastian. I told you, the Tribunal would pit every coven in the city against you. Do you think you can fight every coven in the city?"

"If I have already been found guilty, why bother with all of this? Why not just kill me? Send all of the Enforcers and all of the covens to hunt me down."

"Because you aren't the only loose end. I have convinced the others on the Tribunal to let you live if you help us."

"How gracious of you, but I am not involved in this and can offer you no assistance."

"We know you spoke with the detective," Elizabeth said looking at the floor. "And the last assignment the dead Enforcers went on was to find him."

Sabastian's eyes met Elizabeth's as she lifted her gaze. It seemed foolish to continue the lie, but he sensed that Elizabeth was holding something back. If he admitted his guilt, he would never find out if they knew about Susan. He didn't care much about the detective or Janet, so long as Susan was unharmed.

"Since I am already guilty in your eyes, what is the point in continuing this discussion? Regardless of what you and your Tribunal have decided, I can provide you with no information."

"If you are not involved, why did you talk with the police officer? Not once, but twice?" Elizabeth queried obviously frustrated.

"Elizabeth, I do not know what you are talking about. There was a gathering of people and I stopped to see what it was all about. That is the extent of my involvement."

"So you are saying that the Sabastian that spoke to the detective was not you."

"No, why are you so certain that it was? Did someone tell you that they saw me talking to this man?"

"No, the man reported talking to someone named Sabastian."

"Things have changed, I was not aware that the human police now reported to the Tribunal."

"Not as such, but we have our ways of getting information."


0057
"So, you have not spoken directly to the detective. Are you sure it was Sabastian and not Sebastian? Do you know what the person that spoke with this police officer looked like?"

"We have nothing but a name," Elizabeth answered.

This was Sabastian's way out. He decided to use their lack of knowledge to feign anger. "How dare you bring me here and accuse me like this," he erupted.

"Did you ever stop to think that some might use my name to cover their own tracks?" he continued with enough volume and mock anger to make Elizabeth cower back several steps.

"All I want is to be left alone," Sabastian said in a more restrained tone. "The Tribunal and I have lived in blissful ignorance of each other for many years. It would be best for all involved if it remained that way.

"This situation is none of my affair. Deal with it yourselves and leave me be."

"The Tribunal won't do that. The rules have been broken, someone must be held accountable. I am only one vote. I can not stop this.

"I would, Sabastian," Elizabeth said walking to him and touching his face. "I would stop this if it were in my power."

Sabastian's mind was racing. He didn't know how far he could trust Elizabeth. She could be trying to gain his confidence to get information. It had been so long since they had even seen each other. And she had not told him everything she knew. He could feel that.

The worst part, though, was that Sabastian still did not know the answer to his most urgent question—did the Tribunal know about Susan?

"You have my answer Elizabeth. I am not involved. What happens now? Do I fight my way out of here or will I be allowed to leave peacefully?"

"We should go back to the meeting chamber and discuss this with the others."

"And if I refuse?"

"Then you will have to fight your way out," Elizabeth said lowering her gaze. "But I do not believe that is the most prudent course of action."

After a moment of reflection, Sabastian consented and they walked back to the meeting chamber. He did not know if the Tribunal was aware of Susan, and the only way he could find out was to keep playing their game. It did not make him happy, but he didn’t believe there was another choice.

Once inside, Elizabeth instructed Sabastian to stand in about the same spot as before while she resumed her post on the stage.

"Has the guilty confessed?" the man to Elizabeth's right asked.

"Guilty?" Sabastian asked angrily. "Who is it that has decided my guilt?"

"The Tribunal, the rightful governing body of this city," the man to the left announced.

"The rightful governing body? You are only here because I allowed it!"

"That was long ago, times have changed considerably. You no longer have any claim to this city."

"I have never been subject to your Tribunal and I shall not start now. I have no involvement in this situation and I will not allow you to presume me guilty with nothing more than my name and reputation as evidence."

"You will tell us where the officer and the victim's child are," the man on the right said angrily.

Sabastian was both relieved and concerned. They knew about Susan, but apparently did not have her. His question was answered. Right now, however, he needed to play as if he knew nothing about Susan.

"Child? Well it seems the list of accusations knows no bounds. I now stand guilty of allowing my victim to be found, cavorting with the human officer in charge of the case, killing some of your beloved Enforcers, and spending my remaining free time playing with children. Is there anything else you would like to add to the list?

"Perhaps I have also stolen your kitchen sink?"

Elizabeth chuckled, prompting the man on the left to admonish her by saying, "Madam President, this is no laughing matter. You assured us you would be able to ascertain the truth."

"You are correct, this is no laughing matter. However, if Sabastian is, as he claims, not involved, our accusations would seem outlandish."

"Then you believe he is not involved?"

"I do not know. But the evidence against him is circumstantial at best. I know we have enacted judgements based on less, but I believe any judgement we decide upon in this case will be very difficult to enact. Therefore, we should be quite certain of our decision before we attempt to carry out any judgement."


0058
"Perhaps it is best if we continue in our attempts to learn more before we come to any costly conclusions," Elizabeth suggested to the two others on the stage.

"And what do we do with him in the meantime?" asked the man on her left.

"You speak as if I am a prisoner," retorted Sabastian angrily.

"Do you think we had you brought here so we could just let you go?" the man on the right asked rhetorically.

"I came here of my own free will and I will leave here the same way."

"You will leave when we decide you can leave," stated the left voice.

"I will leave when I choose to leave," Sabastian said with a great deal of volume.

"Sabastian," Elizabeth intervened, "I would love to catch up on old times. Please stay as my guest so we can have some time alone."

"I am not interested in these games, Elizabeth. I am leaving and neither you nor these faceless voices will stop me."

"You impertinent tramp!" exclaimed the man on the right.

Walking toward the voice, Sabastian stated flatly, "You interrogate me and insult me while cowering behind a mask of darkness. Are you afraid that I may learn who you are and kill you as I have so many others? As far as I am concerned, this game is over."

Before he reached the stage, Elizabeth stood before him with her hand on his chest. "That is enough," she announced loudly.

"Sabastian, you are not a prisoner, but I respectfully ask that you stay with me for the time being. My fellow Tribunal members have spoken rashly out of a desire to deal with an unsolved mystery. I am certain their words are driven by frustration. But, based on the limited information we have at this time, I believe it is premature to take any further steps.

"Please, Sabastian, I appeal to your rational side. Nothing good would come from hostility." She was looking directly into his eyes, pleading with him to stay with her mind.

Sabastian could tell that she was genuine in her desire to avoid conflict. He was driven by a desire to leave and find Susan so he could protect her, but his rational side, as Elizabeth termed it, knew that Enforcers would simply follow him if he were to make it out alive. And that was not a certainty. Sabastian knew he could hold his own, but the crowd outside was larger than he judged he could easily dispatch.

"I will stay for the moment," he said to Elizabeth.


0059
It was early in the morning when Janet Long woke up. She found Susan asleep in her makeshift bed on the couch. “Claudia must have brought her back over, I guess,” she thought to herself. The television was still on, though the volume was low.

Janet leaned in the doorway and watched Susan sleep. She was happy just to have this little angel with her. She felt deep inside that she was fulfilling a larger purpose. That this, in some strange way, was what she was meant to do.

After a few minutes, she knelt down next to the couch and woke Susan up. "Honey, we need to get up so we can get on the road for our trip."

"Hmmm, I was dreaming about Sabastian."

"Really, what were you dreaming?" Janet asked, she was still trying to better understand the relationship the two had.

Sitting up, Susan answered, "He met an old friend. They were talking about old times and new times. She seemed nice, but he was afraid of her."

"Why?"

"She knows about me."

"Is that bad?"

"He thought so."

"Why?"

"I don't know, it might have something to do with her friends. They're mean."

"Were they in your dream, too?"

"No, but I could feel them. I hope Sabastian is O.K."

"I'm sure he is honey, he seemed like he could take care of himself. We need to get going. How about we get ready and we talk in the car. If you like we can get donuts for the trip."

"Yeah," Susan said excitedly. Janet was actually somewhat shocked that Susan was excited about anything, even if it was just donuts.

They got ready and on the way out Janet slipped a thank you note under Claudia's door for all her help.

After a quick stop at a Krispy Kreme for breakfast, they were on the road.


0060
"Do you remember anything else about your dream?" Janet asked after they had crossed the George Washington Bridge, and finished a few donuts.

"Yeah."

"Did you want to talk about it?"

"I don't know, sure. Sabastian was just very worried. Even while he was talking about other stuff."

"What was his friend's name?"

"Elizabeth."

"What was she like?"

"She was very pretty. She wore old clothes like Sabastian has in his house."

"Really."

"Yeah, and she talked funny."

"Do you mean she sounded like she was from another country?"

"Yeah. They were talking about a fight they had in England. She was sorry but they both thought it was for the best. After the fight, Sabastian went to Italy and Elizabeth moved into a castle."

"Did she?" Janet asked, assuming that Susan was making things up.

"After that, she went to Italy to look for Sabastian, but he wasn't there anymore. He was in Spain."

"Spain?"

"Yeah, he went to Spain and then Porchigal."

"Portugal, honey."

"Yeah, Porchigal. She didn't know that, though, so she stayed in Italy for a long time.

"That was where she made Sol."

"You mean met, dear."

"No, she made him."

"Do you mean she had a child named Sol?"

"No, he was an artist and she made him in Italy. He reminded her of Sabastian." Janet decided to let it go and just listened. "Elizabeth spent a long time in Italy with Sol, but eventually they moved to New York. Thomas, the one who made her, was waiting for her to come.

"By that time, though, Sabastian had given up the city. Thomas was in control and wanted her help.

"She wanted to see Sabastian, but didn't know what to say so they never met. She hid herself from him.

"I think that's sad. Sabastian went from Porchigal to what he called the New World. He ended up in New York, and just wanted to be alone. But they kept bothering him."

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful storey. It catches the essence of the few Vampires that are left. It was off on a few details, but all and all I give it my praise.

Friday, April 22, 2005 8:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, Susan is starting to sound like she's psychic! Cool, very interesting. Somehow I feel bad for Sabastian. He just wants to be left alone! *Sigh* Poor old guy. XD

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home